SC really is Audobahn class...

1QuikV6

Ok I have a a verified flat out speed as verified by a friends 99 S500. Flat out from 80mph jumps I head him off by about a car length and i carried that car length out to dead out top end. This particular stretch is fairly twisty and banked for a 65mph highway and the SC felt completely firm, confident, and settled the entire time.

The only reason the benz didnt gain was because he flashed his highbeams when he hit his 155mph governor so Im very happy in knowing that I have surpassed what most people believe these cars will run. Keep in mind all I have is a 10% underdrive and open exhaust and the original 2.73 gears which I attribute to the top end. Not bad for a 3am sprawl on a 4 lane highway in a deserted stretch between two cities...

I guess this proves that Ford really did suceed at producing an Audobahn quality car. Hats off to em cuz they were so good that the SC is about as reliable as a BMW or MB hahaha *insert sarcasm here*

Sure wouldnt mind taking my 93 on the audobahn. Lots of fun i hear.

jOe

Last edited:
speed limiter

chadder1313 said:
That would be awesome to run with those German cars. Does SCs have speed limiters?
i don't believe it does, it is aerodynamically limited at 147mph (as rated by car and driver 1989 4th or 5th gear)

yea it doesnt have enough power stock to push it over 150mph they meant :D , when you think about it, back in 89 150mph could outrun almost anything on the road

indeed they could

AsScLoWn said:
yea it doesnt have enough power stock to push it over 150mph they meant :D , when you think about it, back in 89 150mph could outrun almost anything on the road
yes, for their time it was an amazing car, and only a little over 20k. And it had alot of things that were state of the art for that time.

nowadays it still takes a hell of an automobile to outrun these machines, the higher end luxury boxes? speed limiters ;)

Well those luxury boxes are still limited to 155mph which is pretty stellar in itself. It felt really smooth and very controlled at that speed too. Felt like it definitely could have kept on with more power.

Either way my 89 SC was in front of a 99 S500! Woo Hoo

Only 155?

I remember in somewhat stock condition 1993 having the first gen EEC Tuner installed and messing with the speed limiter variable to see how fast I can get the car up to on Interstate 65 outside of Indianapolis. I set it at 165 for grins and it took a while, but I met the limiter with room on the tach.

I think I had the 3.08 gear? Dont remember.

The vibrations scared me more than anything.

I "assumed" car was capable of 180 at the time, but this was eons ago.

The 1990 Corvette ZR-1 was capable of a 180 top speed which was right there with the Testarossa. The problem was that it took a million years to get there in 6th gear...

Here's an interesting thought....2003 Cobra is estimated to have a 230mph top speed at 6th gear redline and "rumored" to have achieved that with the use of a splitter and some other body mods. 03 Cobra has hit 189 in stock trim at Bonneville and a couple guys with a camcorder hit 170 in fifth gear.

Its interesting to be a part of the 200mph club and spent all of 30,000 on the car. Now, 0-200mph vs. the likes of F40 or Diablo? Cars can go fast, but its how fast they get there that is the true test.

Besides, the Thunderbird SC was never intended to be a dragstrip car and I still, to this day, wonder why so many people try to make these cars into 10 second straight line shooters. Ugh....handling and top end I will take any day....wanna run 1/4 mile, get a GT...

Cars can go fast, but its how fast they get there that is the true test.

Besides, the Thunderbird SC was never intended to be a dragstrip car and I still, to this day, wonder why so many people try to make these cars into 10 second straight line shooters.

Cause it is the true test lol! ;)

1QuikV6 said:
Ok I have a a verified flat out speed as verified by a friends 99 S500. Flat out from 80mph jumps I head him off by about a car length and i carried that car length out to dead out top end. This particular stretch is fairly twisty and banked for a 65mph highway and the SC felt completely firm, confident, and settled the entire time.

The only reason the benz didnt gain was because he flashed his highbeams when he hit his 155mph governor so Im very happy in knowing that I have surpassed what most people believe these cars will run. Keep in mind all I have is a 10% underdrive and open exhaust and the original 2.73 gears which I attribute to the top end. Not bad for a 3am sprawl on a 4 lane highway in a deserted stretch between two cities...

I guess this proves that Ford really did suceed at producing an Audobahn quality car. Hats off to em cuz they were so good that the SC is about as reliable as a BMW or MB hahaha *insert sarcasm here*

Damn that sure is fast in an SC. I would love to try that someday but would be very afraid of what would happen in the 5.0 saw me doing it. I dont even wanna know what the ticket would be let alone what they would do to me if caught. I would most likely try to run. I mean you are already going over 150mph no cop car is going to catch you and they are not going to put spike strips down. About the only thing that they could do is hope the copper got there before you got out of sight.

Mike Manzo said:
Here's an interesting thought....2003 Cobra is estimated to have a 230mph top speed at 6th gear redline and "rumored" to have achieved that with the use of a splitter and some other body mods. 03 Cobra has hit 189 in stock trim at Bonneville and a couple guys with a camcorder hit 170 in fifth gear.

WOW!!!! 230mph in an 03/04 cobra! Damn now I really cant wait till 2007 to get one and mod it and attempt something like that. But only at somewhere like the salt flats that way I can get a printout verifying that I actually went that speed.

Shane

Scott Long said:
Ask Mark Strand (68Cougar) about his experiences in Germany on the Autobahn w/ his 89 XR7....
Mark's car was in Germany at one time? Yeah I'll have to ask him about it sounds like hella fun.

When Mark first bought his cougar he was stationed in Germany. So the car was shipped to him overseas. He had some of the first mods out for the cars at the time. Like an overdrive pulley. Then when the head gaskets blew, the germans replaced the entire engine. He told me a cool story about how he entered it in a race over there. I think he said he was the last one to leave and the first one to the finish. I sent him a link to this thread so hopefully he will jump on and comment.

Heh, awesome! I haven't talked to Mark in awhile and last I heard the bank sold his house or some crap like that, is he okay?

By the way Scott, I noticed you were sizing up my friend's RX-7. :D Which reminds me I thought we were supposed to race? my car is 19 years old and will probably decompose soon. ;)

Two years ago on my way to Carlisle a 500sl Mercedes decieded to race me top end..Call it dumb but dam if those roads wernt straight as an arrow.

Needless to say I pegged the stock speedo on my 94 auto and still had more to go. I believe I started pulling on the sl bigtime around 130 or so. No speedlimiter via a chip for me. It's truly amazing how well these cars are top end.

What I love about GT cars. The SC was made to compete with the Germans best. In 89 it did just that..And this was a car designed I believe in 84 with teh prototype being complete in 86.....*Imagine an SC in 86?...ahhh

Back