MAF Electronics Question

edspringer

Is there an on or off car test to verify the MAF electronics are working properly? Is there some where I can send them to have them checked? I have no MAF fault codes or any other codes but am still chasing the rough idle problem on my 94 SC.

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, UD Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73mm CL MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76mm CL MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Pro-Torque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 LB-FT Torque.

Tell us a bit more about the symptoms of your rough idle. If the MAF was out of range you would most likely get a CEL; similarly you would get a CEL code of 214 if it's the cam sensor. You can try cleaning the sensor wires on the MAF with alcohol & a q-tip (especially if you are using an oiled type air filter); but have you changed anything lately? (throttle body for example). Also if the idle is high and then slowly returns to normal it could be a stuck/dirty bellows on the IAC/IAB on the throttle body (cleanable with a small soft brush or electrical safe spray cleaner).

Back