Started SC's up for first time since fall.

91BLOWNSC

Just thought you guys might be able to help me out here. I have both a 91 SC that has a freshly rebuilt motor and started without hesitation. Ran wonderfully.
The 95 on the other hand was the problem. I had inquired about all this before and ask but thought you guys might have some fresh ideas. She started up great and even came outta the barn ok. Let her idle away and everything seemed perfect (maybe I thought all the problems would go away during the winter?? ;) ) After about 25 minutes of driving it around my driveway (no insurance) and letting it idle it started to fumble around between whatever its supposed to be and almost stalling out..back and forth , back and forth. So I pulled the MAF sensor plug outta the sensor itself, and it went right back to normal idle and didn't fumble at all anymore...Plugged it back in and it bogged the motor down. So any ideas woudl be great. Im hoping to get it tuned this spring by XR7 Dave, but i'd like to get this problem solved first. I already tried swapping mafs off my 91 (same part #).

Thanks!

Im guessing you pulled the battery when you stored the vehicle? Im not sure, but it could be the computer resetting itself... hopefully someone else will have a better idea of what it may be.

I've been having the same problem. I let it run for a couple minutes and i go and put it into gear and it starts to stall. If i give it a touch of gas it doesn't stall out but if i don't give it a little gas it stalls out and has a hard time starting back up. It will on the 3rd try of cranking it and then it will run fine until i put it in gear. but like i said, if i touch the gas it is fine. I don't know. It's weird. It's been better lately.

The 91 and 95 don't use the same MAF, so you can't swap them. But, It does sound like the MAF is causing the problem.

David

hmm...

Well I don't even have to put mine in gear to make it start to sputter. It just does it whenever it decides to.

Dave, if there not the same MAF, why do they have the same part # on them? Are they still different? Im confused. But when i did put the 91 MAF on there, it ran the same as when i had the 95 MAF on there. Sputtered and what not. And I THINK i even tried the 95 MAF in the 91 and it ran perfect. Thats what im so confused by.

2 different Mafs for those years and they are setup for 2 diff. injectors.

89-93 has 30lbs.
94-95 has 36 lbs.

Whether or not it has anything to do with it.....I have no idea

Skip

Last edited:
V8Supercoupe said:
2 different Mafs for those years and they are setup for 2 diff. injectors.

89-93 has 30lbs.
94-95 has 36 lbs.

Whether or not it has anything to do with it.....I have no idea

Skip

Im not to sure either. :confused:

91BLOWNSC said:
Im not to sure either. :confused:
MAF's are calibrated for fuel injector size. So it does matter. It soulds like you have 2 MAF's both calibrated to run with 30lbs injectors if they both run good on the 91.

Sounds to me like the sensor is dirty? My 94 did the same thing, cleaned sensor with some alcohol and a qtip and now it runs like a new car

Dylan

scbird94 said:
Sounds to me like the sensor is dirty? My 94 did the same thing, cleaned sensor with some alcohol and a qtip and now it runs like a new car

Dylan

Ive tried that also, and to no avail. I guess I will try to just buy a 94/95 MAF sensor from the J-yard or something and give that a ****. If I can find one IN the j-yard. Anyone have an extra one lieing around for a small price?

My 1992 was having the same exact problem. I would pull the MAF plug when it would bog and it would run perfect with it unpluged. For a while i ran the car with it unpluged. All i did was went to the junk yard and got the hole unit off of a 95 Thunderbird 4.6 and know she runs awesome. Your problem deffinately is your MAF.

Oh :eek: Playing with air fuel mixtures is like playing with a loaded gun. A 4.6 has what 24# injectors? Did you change your entire Maf or just the electronics? This would be a good time to buy a code scanner as well. At some time I would have someone check those air fuel tables out for you. I had 89 elctronics on my 94 and it made no change in performance but I think I might have been playing with the same loaded gun. Have you ever seen a new piston with a hole burned through the top? I have :D

scbird1 said:
Oh :eek: Playing with air fuel mixtures is like playing with a loaded gun. A 4.6 has what 24# injectors? Did you change your entire Maf or just the electronics? This would be a good time to buy a code scanner as well. At some time I would have someone check those air fuel tables out for you. I had 89 elctronics on my 94 and it made no change in performance but I think I might have been playing with the same loaded gun. Have you ever seen a new piston with a hole burned through the top? I have :D

Ahh well..you don't have to worry none. Because im worried enough for the both of us. I don't really want a hole in my piston. Though that WOULD be a good reason for a cam ah? :D

my cougar did the same thing. what i did was pull off the air filter or cone i should say then started it up. the car idled perfect. so i'd say i could be that if its not the maf.

Back