Is this allright? power steering pulley

mattyblazer

Did I do this ok? The pulley was a little stubborn but I won in the end. The question is about the puller I was using went inside the hole in the pump shaft. The outside of the shaft looked clean.

Thanks,
-Matt

Attachments

• SC head job 007.jpg
    SC head job 007.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 75
  • SC head job 008.jpg
    SC head job 008.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 76
How far in did those threads go?

The puller went inside the shaft 1/4 inch? I guess when I get home tomorrow, I'll either chase a tap through there or replace the pump. :(

That is soooooo the wrong puller to use for that. It can deform the pulley. The proper puller grips the center hub and pulls off from the hub.

To put it back on the proper tool has a threaded rod that threads into the center of the p/s pump shaft and a washer that presses the pulley back onto the shaft.

I agree with Mike. The pulley puller I use ( that I bought it at Auto Zone or equivelent for about $20.) has a two part clamp that clips around the ring of the ceter of the pulley. The pulley comes off flawlessly with it as well.
Tom

Mike8675309 said:
That is soooooo the wrong puller to use for that. It can deform the pulley. The proper puller grips the center hub and pulls off from the hub.

To put it back on the proper tool has a threaded rod that threads into the center of the p/s pump shaft and a washer that presses the pulley back onto the shaft.

I got an aluminum pulley, so the original didn't matter to me.

mattyblazer said:
Did I do this ok? The pulley was a little stubborn but I won in the end. The question is about the puller I was using went inside the hole in the pump shaft. The outside of the shaft looked clean.

Thanks,
-Matt
so to answer your initial question WRONG!!! ALL WRONG!!! you failed miserably!! haha just messin with you, make sure you check that pulley before you put it back on there. If you have a surface stone or something really true like that it would be ideal.

91supacoop said:
so to answer your initial question WRONG!!! ALL WRONG!!! you failed miserably!! haha just messin with you, make sure you check that pulley before you put it back on there. If you have a surface stone or something really true like that it would be ideal.

I bought a heartland pulley, so it wasn't a concern, but the threads inside the shaft should have been. :(

But think of all the $$ you could have made selling that one for someone else that used a puller like that on theirs and bent it.

The threads should be fine in the middle of the shaft. Just get the proper sized bolt in a grade 8 and a fender washer with a nut. Screw the bolt in (don't bottom it out) with the nut and washer already on there. I did that once on a chevy and did use 3 fender washers and some spray lube in the middle so one can fit solid on the pulley, one solid on the nut, and both slip on the center one. Then crank down on the nut to push the pulley on.

In your case, to push the steel center piece on. This can be eased by heating that steel center section a bit... maybe in your oven at 350 for a few minutes. I'm not sure if that part is heat treated so not sure if it would hurt it having the heat.

crushed threads are a good thing!

As we all say at my job "Crossthreading!! It's better than loctite!" This same adage can be applied to crushed threads. :D

Back