RPMs stay at 1500?

Thaddisgood

The last couple of days my rpms stay idle at 1500. when i have it in nueltral. When im driving it its fine but everytime i stop the rpms dont go back to normal. And my throtal isnt stuck .. any suggestions

Start by disconnecting the battery to reset the computer.

Then I would pull codes, check the t-body, check for vac leaks, clean the maf maybe?

I don't know, but good luck.

Unplug your IAC. If no change in idle speed, replace it. There is only 1 type of IAC which will work on the Supercoupe and neither Pepboys, Azone, Orielly's or Napa sells it. Do a forum search on "OEM IAC replacement" if you want the details.

Iac

Too much air getting past the throttle plate either by way of the IAC, a vacuum leak, or stuck throttle plate in the throttle body. By unplugging the IAC, it closes and shuts off the air flow past the TP. The engine should stall. Even if it does stall, the resistence of the IAC's coil could be too high as well, so ohm it out to be sure (7-13 ohms range is good). If not within range, replace it.

My guess would be the IAC/IAB valve on the Throttle Body. If it tests out bad (see previous messages above) you can try cleaning them, but generally the valve bellows (white rubber cover inside) breaks-up with age. I have had success myself cleaning it very gently with an electrical safe spray cleaner - don't use any kind of solvent spray, even the throttle body safe stuff as it will just dissolve the bellows; secondly you can clean the dirt off the bellows with a small paint brush.

I also say its your idle air control valve. One day when I went to start my car, it would just keep reving up higher and higher right from startup and wouldnt stop climbing. I replaced it and it never did it again.

Back