PDA

View Full Version : dumb ic question

TwoToneThunder
02-15-2005, 11:37 PM
i took the sc top and intercooler off my car how do i seperate the top and the upper tube

91supacoop
02-15-2005, 11:53 PM
i took the sc top and intercooler off my car how do i seperate the top and the upper tube
there is a collar nut on the supercharger top. It is threaded onto the intercooler tube, you actually rotate the collar nut while holding the intercooler tubing, and raised top still ( i find it is easier to do it on the car). I just used a hammer and a screwdrive to loosen it the first time, but it leaves some ugly marks, and you probably have the risk of cracking the coupling. safest bet is to buy the "supercharger top spanner nut wrench". Bill at ww.supercoupeperformance.com offers one for $60. Anyone have a way of getting it off without damaging it, or spending so much money on a wrench?

WinnipegSC
02-16-2005, 05:48 AM
USE sumthing with a soft face on it (lieka screwdriver witha non metalic tip kinda liek umm.. a police buttom (coated with rubber prevcents chipping :P

or if u REALLY wanna get creative make a paper cut out of a collar nut remover.. then buy some sheet metal.

cut out 6 or 7 pice exactly the same then witha Dril dril hols at random all over it NOT all the way through diffrent dpth . after drilling each hole fill the hole with either JB weld or with real welding via a MIG.

then u ahve a colar nut wrench for about 5$ worht of scrap metal and 3$ of JB weld :P

Kurt K
02-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Bottom Line: If the spanner nut has never been apart, I doubt you wil be able to get the apart without installing the assembly on the car first. I just don't know how you will hold either the tube or the top hard enough to loosen the nut without chewing them up.

I always use a SC spanner nut wrench that was designed for the car.

Lonestar SC
02-16-2005, 08:55 AM
If you have a "Harbor Freight" tools store near you they sell a spanner wrench set that works. Go to their website www.harborfreight.com (http://www.harborfreight.com/) and type in part# 41243-3VGA to see a pic.- Costs: $16
Just place something (like a folded shop rag) between the wrench and collar nut when removing it to prevent scratching the nut.

Also, I agree it would be easier to remove/install the collar nut while still on the car.