SC radiator change

ebodycab

I changed the radiator on my 89SC, do I have to open the bleeder screw on top of the intake? I did not do it, filled the radiator and the overflow bottle,let it run 5 minutes,shut it off,checked the fluid level,was little low,topped it off again. Checked it again next day,radiator is full. LOW radiator light is on,where is the censor, is it in the overflow bottle? Is it supposed to have coolant there at all times? Thanks.....!

radiator fill

ebodycab said:
I changed the radiator on my 89SC, do I have to open the bleeder screw on top of the intake? I did not do it, filled the radiator and the overflow bottle,let it run 5 minutes,shut it off,checked the fluid level,was little low,topped it off again. Checked it again next day,radiator is full. LOW radiator light is on,where is the censor, is it in the overflow bottle? Is it supposed to have coolant there at all times? Thanks.....!
on my 91 supacoop the sensor was in the tank(or am i thinking washer fluid), and there are two lines on the tank one for (full hot) one (full cold) the water should be around the proper line depending on if your motor is hot or cold.

Radiator fill

Wow!!! A question I may be able to help with...
I have a '94 & had radiator issues. I changed radiators. The reason the bleeder screw is there is because on level ground, the top of the radiator is lower than the highest point of coolant flow. Therefor, filling the radiator without opening the bleeder screw does not fully fill the engine & leaves air bubbles. Once these air bubbles reach the radiator, they are passes to the overflow tank, thus, drawing coolant from the overflow tank when needed. The coolant sensor is in the overflow tank. Hope that helps & hope I did good at helping... god knows lots of people around here have helped me.

rad_al_ said:
Wow!!! A question I may be able to help with...
I have a '94 & had radiator issues. I changed radiators. The reason the bleeder screw is there is because on level ground, the top of the radiator is lower than the highest point of coolant flow. Therefor, filling the radiator without opening the bleeder screw does not fully fill the engine & leaves air bubbles. Once these air bubbles reach the radiator, they are passes to the overflow tank, thus, drawing coolant from the overflow tank when needed. The coolant sensor is in the overflow tank. Hope that helps & hope I did good at helping... god knows lots of people around here have helped me.
thanks a lot guys! this helps me, much appriciated!

Even if you open the bleeder screw you will still get air in the system, which will take a couple of days to dissipate. Hence you'll probably have to top-off the reservoir 2-3 times. Alternatively you can warm the engine up with the radiator cap off and some of that surplus air will escape or you can use the pressure release type radiator cap (SCP sells them) and "burp' the system a couple of days in a row after re-filling the system. Most important thing is to use distilled water, so mineral deposits don't build-up in the system.

Also, definately don't let your overflow tank ever run empty. If you do, when your car is cooling down after driving you will be drawing air back into the radiator. You will then be back at square one with air in the system. John

Back