Thermostat housing leak???

klsoneSC

I was trying to replace my thermostat but when I got it in the housing it would not stay put. I have the correct thermostat and gasket. I tried to carefully slide the housing in place but every time we bolted the housing down, it would leak. Is the thermostat supposed to clamp down or is it just supposed to ride the housing? I used some sticky gasket spray to try to get it to stay put and even used some liquid gasket stuff all to no avail. Anyone else have this problem? I must have removed and reattached the thermostat and housing 5 times and it keeps leaking!!!! Please respond, I need to fix this in class today!!!!

Have you compared the thermostat to the one you took out? I've heard of wrong thermostats being provided for the SC.

maybe?

Try using two gasket on it.Happen to me before and we just use two gasket and it work.Good Luck.Later.

did you use "blue rtv" this works the best for the application. take off the housing make sure all the old gasket material is off. hold the new thermostat in place and put rtv around the housing on the intake. slide gasket on and put on housing before you tork the dog sh*t out of it let it sit for like 10 min or so then lightly tighten it down until rtv starts to leak out sides then stop let it sit a while longer then tighten it down. i have used rtv instead of a gasket in the past so i know this will work. good luck Bill

use RTV

I replaced my thermostat about two years ago and had the same problem. Because the thermostat is set vertically, you are fighting the law of Physics. Use RTV to hold it in place and you should have a good seal. Make sure it is specified for high temp and liquid.

Ok, thanks alot everyone!!! I will compare the two thermostats tonight. We used a pink gasket sealing stuff =) (cant remember the name) but I think it was RTV. Anyway, the thermostat DOES just kinda sit in the housing correct? I'll post again and let ya'll know what happened.

If you look at the OEM stat, you will see that the base that sits flush with the housing is oval in shape. This allows the stat to be screwed or twisted on tightly to the housing so it doesn't fall. If you use any other stat, just use rtv (I use copper rtv) to hold it in place while you tighten the bolts. The stat housings are made kind of flimsy. If you over torque the bolts, they WILL warp and leak. Make sure the base is level before you install it. Clean off any residual gasket on the mounting surfaces. Use copper or any other rtv on both faces of the gasket and DON'T over tighten the bolts. I used to have problems putting the stat on but if you take these precautions, you should have a leak free seal. Good luck.

Back