Taking out A/C condensor

noonin86

Well, I'm in the process of putting a new radiator in and with everything out I figured I'd free up some airflow to the I/C by removing the condensor. Do I need to take it to an A/C shop first, or can I just tackle it at home? If anyone has a step by step process that'd be sweet. Thanks for the help

-Mike

If the A/C was working and it is the original R12, it would be environmentally concious of you to take it to a shop to have it reclaimed. If the A/C was inop (that means leaky) you can push the shrader valve stem and see if anything comes out. If its empty, all you need is a set of spring-lock tools ($10 at any parts store or borrow) to disconnect the 2 lines from it. From there, its a couple of bolts and it lifts out. If it was retro fitted to r134a, you're on your own.. you're supposed to have it reclaimed. If you're in the A/C business you can be fined if you don't.

Note however cans of keyboard cleaner/dusters are r134a. :confused: If someone were to take their keyboards and hold them up over the shrader valve so that it cleans them, while whistling a show tune, I wouldn't think anyone should have a problem with it. Might need to clean all your neighbors keyboards as well though. ;) ;)

Last edited:
use a long screw driver, it can get pretty cold.

Not that I've done this before. I'm just guessing here. :D

Oh, and don't breath it, it can give you a headache. :(

Shucks, A/C shop is closed. Where would one find this shrader valve-stem? :rolleyes: BTW, Mike is Thousand Oaks located anywhere near the bay area? I haven't seen another SC around my area for miles. Thanks

and if you light a fire when illegally draining it you will die from the mustard gas when the flame hits the r-12 gas :eek:

noonin86 said:
Shucks, A/C shop is closed. Where would one find this shrader valve-stem? :rolleyes:
Well. When you take it to them, they'll probably point to the 3-4" stem coming up from the steel line which plugs into the condenser which should have a plastic cap. If the cap is red, then it is r134a, if it is black, then its R12. Then, they'll remove the cap and hook up their equipment to that line to reclaim whatever refrigerant is left in there. :)

AsScLoWn said:
and if you light a fire when illegally draining it you will die from the mustard gas when the flame hits the r-12 gas :eek:
LOL :D Drain it inside a closed garage. I've HEARD it makes an eerie special effects smoke show all across the garage floor! :eek:

NMxr7SC said:
LOL :D Drain it inside a closed garage. I've HEARD it makes an eerie special effects smoke show all across the garage floor! :eek:

Ugh...no it does'nt.
Why would anyone want to remove a perfectly good working AC system? You're not going to get one single benefit to the IC by doing that. That is just a BS wivestale. The problem with the IC is location location location.
Get it out of the hot azzed engine compartment if you want an improvement.
Anything else is just fart'in in the wind.

Back