PDA

View Full Version : Differneces in Stock Replacement Pistons

MikeKanterakis
02-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Hey gang, I recently purchased my second set of stock replacement pistons (.020 over) form Sealed Power.

The first set looked like a polished metal, more silver incolor than grey. the ring for the oil retainer rings was solid (meaning that you could NOT see into the piston). there were channels on either side of the pin are where oil could drip down.

The second set looked more like a greyish color and dusty/foggy, NOT like shiny metal. Also, this second set had a bunch of holes behind the oil retainment rings groove.

Both had the same H675P part number, but looked drastically different. What gives???

Mike8675309
02-18-2005, 03:07 PM
I'd call federal Mogul's presales support line and see what they say. Make sure you check all the dimensions.

MikeKanterakis
02-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Yeah, that's a good idea. I guess I just got so used to someone always knowing the answer here on the board, that I forgot about the rest of the world. he he he... :D

MIKE 38sc
02-18-2005, 11:37 PM
The holes and slots from the oil ring grooves is just 2 different approach's to channeling away the oil the rings scrape off the cylinder walls on the downstroke.
I like the holes myself.
The dull grey verses shiny metal look is a coating thing. The dull grey piston has a thin film of dry lube on it.
I have no opinion or prefference concerning this type of coating, its so thin and fragile that you can rub it off with paper towell.
Rod and main bearings have that coating as well.

cougarsc
02-18-2005, 11:38 PM
Maybe the different finish is due to the newer coated skirt option.

MIKE 38sc
02-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Cougar those pistons have a black skirt on them. That coating is very thick compaired to the dull grey or foggy coating.

MikeKanterakis
02-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Yeah Mike, I guessed that they were both a viable option regarding oil control, I was just really surprised to see a different design on the same part numbered piston with in a 6 month time period. The only other difference between the engine, is the the one with the oil holes behind the oil-control-ring has the oil squirter holes in the rods; while the pistons with just the channels near the pins don't have the oil squirter holes in the rods.

Not really sure which combination would be better, or if one is really better than the other? Can't wait to see what Sealed Power says on Monday. :)