hey all I need HELP

92SCinNC

iM BUYIN a 1990 sc from a guy on here for which I think is fair price. its 1,000 he says it needs intake gasket has part said will help me ... wat all does that involve Im not 2 engine savy haha.... ANyways also i want to replace the belts they look like theyre ok but can see sum cracks forming prob from sitting ... anyways it cranked right up when I started it but u gotta gas it to keep it idling because of the intake gasket any questions/ concern rest of car is great besides the front left turn light cover is missing...

IMO if you aren't engine savvy, the s/c is the last car you should buy, don't change the belts yet, there has to be a large piece missing b4 they are no good. Read more on this forum and you'll see what you are getting yourself into and i'm not so sure it's intake gaskets in your case, these cars are notorius for people changing the wrong part , trying to fix a problem. Sorry didn'y mean to rain on your parade, good luck

hmm

are you SURE its an intake gasket-id say sounds like you could have a headgasket issue-thats MUCH more common than an intake gasket-time consuming, and if you cant do it-VERY expensive-good luck, check for the common signs-milky oil, sweet smell out the exhaust and smoke, low or contaminated coolant, etc. Mike

Before You Buy Check Up

Have a reputable mechanic check the car out before you buy. This would include a compression check.

hey all thanks for help

I want to work on them I think I could if I just take my time if I get a childress manual.. the guy that this guy bought car from said it was intake gasket leak alrdy has the part also.. the belts have few lil cracks but no chunks taken out so I guess their fine. Im going to check oil and run it good b4 I give him the 600 plus 400 for title.. Im sure it will be ok Im willing to work on it hell u gotta work on all cars u cant just hop in and drive and expect nothing to go wrong. i love the sc though I always have Im willing to learn so how much would it be to get it checked out I think mechanic around here charges 75 for diagnostics test.
kenny

92SCinNC said:
I want to work on them I think I could if I just take my time if I get a childress manual.. the guy that this guy bought car from said it was intake gasket leak alrdy has the part also.. the belts have few lil cracks but no chunks taken out so I guess their fine. Im going to check oil and run it good b4 I give him the 600 plus 400 for title.. Im sure it will be ok Im willing to work on it hell u gotta work on all cars u cant just hop in and drive and expect nothing to go wrong. i love the sc though I always have Im willing to learn so how much would it be to get it checked out I think mechanic around here charges 75 for diagnostics test.
kenny

sounds like your mind was already made up. A decent mechanic should charge an hours labor to do a pre-purchase inspection.

bluebird said:
sounds like your mind was already made up. A decent mechanic should charge an hours labor to do a pre-purchase inspection.
ok sounds good to me. I think im going to get it this week I am gettin 1,000 from my grandma for graduation that Im using to buy the car. cant wait to be a official member of the sc family do yall think limo or mirror tint on a 90 silver sc? let me know thanks im sure ill be asking alot of mechanical how to's
kenny
ps thanks for all the help so far guys your invaluable

Good Luck......

I've got a very good mechanic in Rock Hill that does all of the work on my SC...... :D

He knows what he is doing and would be able to give the car a mechanical inspection.......I trust his judgement with situations like this.......

You would probably have to take the SC to him, I don't think he would do it in the back yard......But he might......

hey ediie

hey whats up bro? could you ask him for me.. If I have to take it to him I will.. I just dont want to make markadeck mad by gettin it pre inspected you know but same time dont wanna get a money pit of a car. I saw some cool mods on tccoa I want to do to it.. What do you think I should do first A good tune up and oil change I think.. all fluids changed i drive around city alot and some highway do you think I should get colder or hotter plugs

Well.....Before doing any mods, you need to get the car running right.......

Changing all of the fluids is a good start.....Stock plugs work the best......

I asked my mechanic and he said that he would give it a look over...

His name is Dave and his number is: 803-985-5115 or 704-618-3225

He is concerned with the idling problem and driving with this problem could cause a ballooning of the torque converter on the AOD......Your call.....

Yeah, Eddie even has a good transmission mechanic now. :D Good luck with the purchase. Hope the repairs aren't too bad. Eddie, the cats are getting changed on Wednesday.

the-big-e said:
Well.....Before doing any mods, you need to get the car running right.......

Changing all of the fluids is a good start.....Stock plugs work the best......

I asked my mechanic and he said that he would give it a look over...

His name is Dave and his number is: 803-985-5115 or 704-618-3225

He is concerned with the idling problem and driving with this problem could cause a ballooning of the torque converter on the AOD......Your call.....

Ok thanks eddie so could he come up there since its bad to drive it or wat? I should have money up by end of this weekend or early next week so see how much he'd charge Id love to have him help me out.. So how could I fix that problem without driving it I dont want to damage anything by driving it
let me know thanks bro
kenny

Hi Dave....Can't wait for the cat fight to begin.... :D I've got some neat ideas on my exhaust setup that might work......Gotta get it inspected today

Kenny.....I would be thinking of hauling it to Dave's on a flat bed, to be on the safe side.......I've had issues with my AOD :eek: :D :cool: and the easier you can be on it, the better......I don't think it would cost much.....

Have you already bought the car?

What about your girl friends dad's SC?

I am waiting on check from my grandma

I am waiting on my grandma to send me a check for 1,000 im going to give him 800 for car and title in my name and the other 200 when he help sme fix it.. How much would it be to have it hauled all the way to sc and have him look at it so ill know? thanks eddie
my gf dad sold his sc this past weekend for 1700 :(
anyways thanks I think im going to buy markadecks

I am waiting on check from my grandma

I am waiting on my grandma to send me a check for 1,000 im going to give him 800 for car and title in my name and the other 200 when he help sme fix it.. How much would it be to have it hauled all the way to sc and have him look at it so ill know? thanks eddie
my gf dad sold his sc this past weekend for 1700 :(
anyways thanks I think im going to buy markadecks

Not at this moment.......I just saw a 90 SC with 70 k near me that I listed here for the owner and it went for 3 g's......Whoever bought it got a great deal on a nice car.......

Does anyone know if Sampo still has his SC for sale in Tampa?

Back