New Engine / synthetic oil?

Douglas Walker

I just need quick suggestions on a new engine break in, as in oil change intervals. And when is a good time to switch to synthetic oil.

Doug

First oil I put in a new engine would be 10w30 reg mineral oil. I would then change it at 500 miles and replace the filter. Might not be a bad idea to cut the oil filter apart and look for bearing material. More than likely you're gonna find some metal flakes as some of the machining chips get caught in the filter. Unless you did a real good job bathing the block once you got it back from the machine shop. Your second oil fill should be 10W30 reg mineral oil and run it for 1500 miles. Check your oil filter one more time by cutting it apart and if everything looks good refill with 10w 30 reg mineral oil and run it for another 1500 miles. By then if you broke it in right(dont baby it but dont abuse it) then you're ready to switch to synthetic if you want.
I personly like the synthetic for boosted engines because it does'nt burn off and carbon up the rings making them stick. You should still not run synthetic oils in boosted engines longer than 3500 miles. Reg mineral oils I change at 2500 miles. I've noticed that reg mineral oil starts to break down at 2500 in boosted engines, but its just fine up to that point.

I woudl say at least 5K miles on good dino oil, then you shoudl be safe to switch to whatever synthetic you want to run. From what I've heard on break ins, you need to put fresh oil in, run it for 500 miles, change the oil, then go to regular 3K intervals. With synthetics, you can do 6K extended oil changes as long as you use a good oil filter.

Douglas Walker said:
I just need quick suggestions on a new engine break in, as in oil change intervals. And when is a good time to switch to synthetic oil.

Doug

I would suggest a search. But from my reading this is what I did. change the oil first after the initial start up and warm up. Then 100 miles. Then 500 Miles. Then 1000 miles. Then 2000 miles a couple times. Then I switched to mobil1 5-30. Where I change it every 3000 miles.

Back