PDA

View Full Version : Custom Built Front Drag Coil Overs

392Bird
02-19-2005, 02:38 PM
I have been working on getting these built for some time now. These are custom built QA1 Pro Drag Shocks for MN12s. I just got them yesterday, and will install them in the next couple of days. These are Prototype now, but as soon as tested and any changes needed, they will be available. They were built by a QA1 dealer, not the QA1 shop it self. I will update as I progress. These are 90/10, set up as fixed Compression, and fully adjustable Damping, (extension). These alone take off about 20 lbs from the front.

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/MN12-QA1Pro-drag-coilovers1.jpg

Lower part:

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/MN12-QA1Pro-drag-coilovers2.jpg

These are still Prototype, and no firm price has been set.
They mount to the lower control arm the same as the stock ones do, and mount to the stock top piece, that has the 3 studs on it, as the factory ones do.

MIKE 38sc
02-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Hey Bruce! Nice job!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:
You need to contact Randy because I think he was wanting some of those.
Put this thread in the new parts section. I think you might have a hit on your hands. :)

CenTexSC
02-20-2005, 06:56 PM
I would be interested in this setup if you could get them in a 70/30 setting for the street strip guys and there would be a bigger demand as well. It would be great to get QA1 to do a shock shock for the rear too.

Zack

392Bird
02-20-2005, 07:46 PM
These are done as a prototype, and when it is determined that they are correct, and if there is decent interest shown, they will be made available to your specs. Once the fronts are done, we can start on the rears. My Bird weighs less than 3200 lbs, so when done, will have them determine what is needed for the different weights, strip only and street/strip use.

392Bird
02-21-2005, 06:15 PM
A few pictures taken today during the install.

The coil over with the stock top piece installed, ready to go.

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/qa1feb21-2.jpg

Mounted up to the shock tower from the bottom

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/qa1feb21-9.jpg

View from the top

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/qa1feb21-8.jpg

View of the bottom mount, 12 position adjuster knob and heigth adjustment ring

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/qa1feb21-12.jpg

Over all view installed

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/qa1feb21-14.jpg

I have a few thing to get changed, then they should be ready to make them as needed.

Example: Will advise them to do these with the adjuster knob to the rear. This will protect it, and allow easy adjustment by just turning the wheel and reaching in. Ideal for between round changes at the strip.

A few other minor things.

XR7 Dave
02-21-2005, 06:36 PM
With the range of available adjustment, with a fixed compression and adjustable rebound, it would seem obvious that the 90/10 would apply to a full soft setting. Full firm would be something else 50/50 perhaps?? What is the range?

tim
02-21-2005, 07:56 PM
PLEASE!! keep us posted on these shocks. Those are what I have been dreaming of. With a manual steering and Mustang hubs with skinny tires real race car. Thats what Iam talking about. Thanks for you work on these! :)

XxSlowpokexX
02-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Dave they make road racing shox as well in that form....And spring rates so you can go either way.

392Bird
02-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Dave: Bo idea on what they will go from-Too. I did the test install today, and need to do a few other things before they go on for good. Also the springs I am using are only to get a eough idea on the fir. They will come back off, and go over to my buddys shop as soon as he is back from Daytona. He has a full race shop, and I will put these on his shock dyno, and get data. I need to get it 4 corner weighed also, then will decide on what springs it will get for the strip, most likely in the 175-200 lb range. They can valve these any way you want. I told him when in the lowest setting, I wanted to be able to pull the tops out with one hand, and wanted the compression stiff enough that if the car was off the ground and set down, it would take 3-4 seconds to settle the shocks :) Ill see on the dyno how close he got.

Oh, and once all the little details are worked out, they will make these up for any type drivivg, and adjustable or not.

I will keep everyone up to date. I hope to have this completed, and ready for our local strip to reopen Mid March.

Randy N Connie
02-22-2005, 09:08 AM
392bird
Is it possible to get the front coilovers NOW.I have been getting parts
together to finish my 4130 k-member.I plan to swap my
k-members again in the next couple weeks.If I get all the parts
made & assembeled on my new K-Member.Road race shock valveing
is the shock set-up I like to have.

Maybe you can help me with these's parts .I am wanting
to machine or buy,Aluminum hubs,and aluminum brake carrires
with bolt-on disc brake rotors.

I hope to take close to 100 pounds off the front. With the
use of a 4130 AJE K-Member with my lower control arm,
plus aluminum hubs,brake carrier,aluminum adj coil over shocks.
And some left over H.D. parts.

I would be interrested in buying a front pair NOW.If you
want to sell any.

I am interrested in rears also. :)

Thanks Randy

392Bird
02-22-2005, 11:12 AM
I will be out of town today, and need to get a couple of small things sorted out tomorrow on these. I hope to have everything worked out, and final install next week. If so, will pass on all information to the shop and here.

Randy, you sure those pieces for the HD are not oil soaked? :)) JK

You need to get Pet Hill to be your partner, then you would be sure to lead the pack :)

Bruce

Randy N Connie
02-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Pete & Jackie drive GM type stuff :rolleyes:

Randy :)

dode
02-22-2005, 11:43 AM
I commented over on TCCoA about this, and I will comment here. I am very concerned about the manner in which these coilovers load the stock upper mount. You are applying a large force to an area that wasn't originally designed to withstand that much load. You are basically point loading the center of that mount. Originally the outside of that mount was designed to carry the load transferred via the springs, but now you are changing that drastically. I think go to with this you need a new upper mount as well, whether it be via a rod end type connection or a bushing type. By the way, I would guess those were built using C5 Corvette rear shock parts right?

John

Randy N Connie
02-22-2005, 12:01 PM
John there is no design change for the front of mn12 birds.
They all ready have coil over shocks on the front.
But they are not aluminum and adjustable.And no-one makes
a adjustable aluminum shock with the poper bottom mounting.

Some work may be needed for rear adjustable coil over shock
installation.

Randy

dode
02-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Yes...there is a MAJOR design change...In the stock configuration, a 5" spring sits in the spring seat molded into the upper mount. This seat is backed by a metal plate in both the mount and the shock tower. That is the load path to the chassis. In this design however, the load path is through the center of the mount where the stock shock rod passes through normally. This is a MAJOR change from how that mount was designed to be used. There is no steel plates there to reinforce it. You are changine from a very distributed load to a very concentrated load. This will eventually lead to a failure in the upper mount.

John

Randy N Connie
02-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Maybe I am missing something.Bruce is using the stock steel shock
mount,On top of his QA1 aluminum adjustable shock.Would'nt this
spead the load the same as the loading was with the stock
coil-over shock in the shock tower.

Thanks Randy

dode
02-22-2005, 12:58 PM
No, it isn't the same...that's my point. The way that these are setup, only about a 1" diameter portion of the stock mount in the very center is trying to absorb the entire load from the front suspension. Plus, there is no steel to support the mount in that location, only molded rubber. In the stock configuration, the load is distributed in a 5" diameter circle which is backed by the steel in the mount, and the steel in the shock tower.

John

dode
02-22-2005, 01:02 PM
By the way...maybe this will help to explain it a little better. The center of the stock mount is NOT steel. The center (2"+ in diameter) is rubber only, and this is where the entire load is transmitted.

John

gldiii
02-22-2005, 01:41 PM
I take it this occurs because the new spring is a smaller diameter than the stock spring?

Are the pieces you are having machined sit on the smaller spring and then transfer the load to the original metal support on top?

dode
02-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Yes, that is exactly the problem. In fact, this is accentuated even more because the upper spring seat on the coilover is slightly conical in shape. That further concentrates the load from like a 2.5" diameter area down to like a 1" diameter area.

The parts I am having machined?? Which parts are these that you speak of? I have a set of these in the works for myself, though I am doing them quite differently. I am not planning on useing the stock upper mount whatsoever.

John

gldiii
02-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Sorry, John, I think I read on the TCCoA that you were having parts made and was just wondering if it was an adapter to make the smaller spring fit the stock plate. It looks like that part could be made pretty easily and would then serve to distribute the load back as originally intended. Sounds like you are just going a different route from my (always dangerous) assumptions! LOL

392Bird
02-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Dode, I tried to explain to you before, the special cap for these coil overs, goes out past the springs, into the area of the factory mount that is steel. This is the same steel that the stock springs rest on. These guys have been doing suspensions for decades, and I think they know what they are doing. They do have a plate that they use for the new rules for the dirt track classes that require them to use 5 inch springs with the coil overs. If some one is concerned, they could request the plates that the bottom of the springs sit on, and these sit on a larger adjusting ring. Then you can run 5 inch springs. :)

If you are going to be curb jumping, these are not for you Any thing less, and I am not concerned at all.

Randy N Connie
02-22-2005, 08:12 PM
I went out and looked at my stock coilover shocks.The stock spring
is larger but I don't see it a problem to machine a peice for the top.

I think Bruce said that this was a proto pair.That changes were
going to be made,when & if needed.And ask for constructive
thoughts on any improvment that could be made.That he would
like to hear them.And if any one was interested in this coilover
project.

I have been looking for a pair of aluminum adjustable shocks to make
adjustable coil overs fit a SC Bird.Haven't ran into the shock with
the right bottom.So I could machine a aluminum billet bracket fit
the bottom.

The top part of the coilover assembley would be easy to fab up a
piece for the proper fit & thickness.

It dosen't matter to me,I would like to cut the shock towers out,
and replace with a tube chassis.

Good luck on your project Bruce.Keep us posted .

Thanks Randy

dode
02-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Where is this cap? I have not seen it...it definitely isn't in any of your pictures. All I see on the top of that spring is a conical spring seat. I have a dozen of them in my garage...I know what they look like. I am also aware of the 5" spring adapter plates. I don't like them personally, but when you have to run them because of rules, you run them. Please point out in the pictures exactly what part you are talking about as I am just not seeing it.

John

392Bird
02-23-2005, 02:40 PM
When I pull these off the next time, I will make sure to take pictures of each piece. These have already had 3 changes, and I am sure there will be more before they are ready. I wiil get some road time on them this week end, if the weather is decent.

Just found out that the local strip is having a early opening this Saturday, with pit parking assignments, new rules, etc. Maybe I will get to see how well they work on launch...

tim
02-23-2005, 05:09 PM
90/10 they should launch better than anything we have ever had be for. No more board suspension.

Randy N Connie
02-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Any updates?

Where to buy? PH.#.

Where do I send my money?

Can they be shipped yesterday? :)

Do you have chrome springs.To match the springs on my H.D. shocks :)

THANKS ! RANDY

392Bird
02-28-2005, 05:09 PM
I had a few family commitments come up, and never even got to take the Bird out of the garage this week end. I was out of town today, and hope to get back in the garage tomorrow. I should have any needed changes done to these by this week end, and pass on to the shop to incorporate in the final version. Just a little more time. Remember, there are still prototype.

392Bird
03-05-2005, 08:58 AM
I had some family stuff come up, and have not had much time to work on the project. I got back in the garage some yesterday, and will try to get it finished up today. I will be doing 2 sets. One set up for mainly Strip use, and another for mainly the Street.
The Strip ones will have much weaker springs, so that they absorb the energy, and release it easy on the launches. With them, the ride height will have the plunger about 1 inch from the bottom so the front end has max extension travel.

Here is a shot of the car with the front set up for the Strip. I have several sets of springs, and with the low weight of my Bird, will try 14/150 springs first. I took a picture of the springs with the full weight on them, and they look about right for Strip Only use. I may go up to 175s if these bottom too easy. Once I see what works, I will get a 4 corner weight on it to have for a reference.

I want to test these some before releasing the information on how to get them.

The Bird at Race height.

http://members.tccoa.com/specopssc/full%20lowered.jpg

Here are the 14/150s with full weight on them. Looks perfect to me for the Strip, about 3/4 compressed.

http://members.tccoa.com/specopssc/springatfulllowered.jpg

I may have to raise it slightly. For the street, it would need to be much higher, and stronger springs.

tim
03-05-2005, 10:30 AM
What a great setup! I mostly race so that looks really good to me. Looks to be a lot lighter than the stock setup too.

392Bird
03-05-2005, 11:09 AM
I weighed the stock shock/spring combo, then these, and the QA1/spring set up is 12 lbs lighter each.

Headed back to the garage...

Randy N Connie
03-05-2005, 12:50 PM
THANKS RANDY

tim
03-05-2005, 04:15 PM
My front shocks and springs are probably original, I know they need to be replaced. I really want this setup for my car. 24 lbs less weight and a better drag setup cant really be beat, If I can afford them I will buy a set.

seawalkersee
03-06-2005, 01:21 PM
I am interested as well. I dont hit the strip as much as I would like but my car is VERY spongy in the front (LX) and the ability to make it a bit tougher would be good. I would like to see what dode has going on as well (since we are close). I think maybee the two of you are on the same path just on different sides of the road.

Chris

392Bird
03-10-2005, 08:41 PM
UPDATE:
Ok, I tried several sets of springs to see what would work best with my Bird. Since I want these for a weekend play car, geared towards strip use, I wanted the longest weak spring that would support the car. I ended up with 14/250 springs for strickly strip use, and 14/275 for mixed use. I have a lot of street use planed for this Summer, so left the 14/275s in.

I took the Bird out today, and put about 75 miles on it on several types of roads, and the car rides very nice. I do not have a sway bar, so no high speed corners were tried. With the shocks set at the full minus setting, the front feels like it is about to lift the wheels at WOT, and on the street. I am sure these will provide more that enough weight transfer at the strip. This was done using my 255/45/17s, and not the DR. I am saving them for serious use, since they are half worn already, and have not made it to the track yet.

I will do some more testing this weekend, then get with the shop next week.
They should be ready to make these very soon. Here are a few shots I took this week.

http://members.tccoa.com/specopssc/

Randy, these are the regular powder coated QA1 springs. You can get the same thing in polished chrome also.

seawalkersee
03-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Looking good. Since you are going to start selling these, How will the spring effect be on the cars that are still within 500lbs of the factory weight. I am cutting the weight down on my ride but since aluminum LCAs and cut rear springs dont add up to 100lbs I am just curious.

Chris

392Bird
03-11-2005, 04:01 PM
"I" am not selling these, and have nothing to do with the shop making them for QA1, other than having them make me a Custom set of coil overs. I told them I would provide feed back to them so that they can market them when done. So far every thing is working A OK. I am doing some research with them about some Conical springs that are in the 300 through 600 lbs per inch range for heavier cars, that may be used more on the street and off road. The average Tbird will need 350-450 springs. These would be in the in the 11 to 14 inch free length, and 5 inch ID on one end and 2 1/2 on the other. They would ride in the stock location at the top to provide maximum strength for X cross or circle track use, and the bottom would fit the shock the same as the 2 1/2 ones so the ride height can be set very easy. There are lots of 9 inch ones available, but not longer with the 5 on one end and 2 1/2 on the other.

Just too much to do, and not enough time to do it. If some one finds a set of in that range, I would be willing to pull my springs and test them. Then we would have 2 good choices.

Randy N Connie
03-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Bruce I like the silver powder coated springs.
I looked at your bird-wed-site.Your bird looks
realy nice with the mods you have done.Nice
clean looking work.

I am attracted to your coil overs,because I
have been reducing the weight of my SC-Bird.
So the car is getting pretty high off the ground.
I don't think lowering springs, with there set
height. Will give my bird the ride height I am
looking for.

I am in the process of ordering parts & rebuilding
my rear suspension now.Then I will move to
the front end.But have been holding the job
back to see what type springs I need to buy.
I am not versed on cutting springs down.

Keep up the good work
Thanks Randy

seawalkersee
03-13-2005, 06:32 PM
What is it you guys are doing to reduce the weight sooo much in the front it comes up?

Chris

9250bird
03-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Well mainly take out and off any unwanted parts or "things" that are of any weight. Now 392 on the other hand has taken everything including the kitchen sink out of his car. If you check out his project page youll see just how much he took out.

Good place to start is the A/C system should shave bout 70-80 pounds off the front.

392- Did you put some a different set of tires on those spare donuts you got for the front? like some MikeyTs skinnys or something? or are they the stock tire?

Chris

seawalkersee
03-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Uhhhhh...Yeah....not takin out the a/c. I need that stuff. I am a very warm blooded person on my own. Then I have to think about the kid and wife. I have to leave that sort of creature comfort for (ahem) them.

Chris

392Bird
03-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Well mainly take out and off any unwanted parts or "things" that are of any weight. Now 392 on the other hand has taken everything including the kitchen sink out of his car. If you check out his project page youll see just how much he took out.

Good place to start is the A/C system should shave bout 70-80 pounds off the front.

392- Did you put some a different set of tires on those spare donuts you got for the front? like some MikeyTs skinnys or something? or are they the stock tire?

Chris

For now I am using the spare wheels with Kumho 758 165/80/15 tires on them. Using the spare wheels is legal if normal tires are used.

http://members.tccoa.com/specopssc/dr-skinny.jpg

Car with 165/80/15

http://members.tccoa.com/specopssc/readytorumble.jpg

Car with 255/45/17 on front

http://members.tccoa.com/specopssc/birdmar12.jpg

My weight now is under 3200 lbs

Here is my weight reduction.
Complete A/C system
Air pump
Front sway bar
Fog lites
Went to a carb, so removed all the harness and computer
Aluminum heads
W/S/washer and pump
Heater and hoses
Replaced the Alt and P/S brackets with light weight aluminum ones
Installed aluminum UD pullies
Removed the complete under dash air box
Removed inner fender liners
Removed carpet padding
Removed sound deading stuff from flool and firewall
Removed radio and temp controls
Removed all speakers
Removed remote mirror motors
Removed remote trunk and fuel door controls
Removed front and rear inner bumpers
Removed stock exhaust system
Replaced 22 gal gas tank with 16 gal cell in trunk
Removed automatic seat belt system
Replaced 6 way power seats with polly seats
Removed cruise control
Removed charcoil canister system
Replaced steel return fuel system with aluminum
Removed rear seats
Removed rear seat belts
Removed passenger side power window motor
Removed door side impact braces
Removed remote door lock activators
Removed sound deadening from doors
Removed dog bone from rear
Replaced cast rear with Aluminum Cobra diff
Replaced drive shaft with composite one
Removed sun visors
Removed dash boad glove box liner (To make room for mounting MSD Digital 6 box in it)
Fiberglass Hood
Custom Coil Overs
Skinnies on the front
More I am sure that I forgot about over the last 2 1/2 years

Pending:
Lexan windows
Fiberglass Doors
Fiberglass trunk lid

XR7 Dave
03-14-2005, 10:02 AM
For now I am using the spare wheels with Kumho 758 165/80/15 tires on them. Using the spare wheels is legal if normal tires are used.

http://members.tccoa.com/specopssc/dr-skinny.jpg

Car with 165/80/15

http://members.tccoa.com/specopssc/readytorumble.jpg

Car with 255/45/17 on front

http://members.tccoa.com/specopssc/birdmar12.jpg

My weight now is under 3200 lbs

Here is my weight reduction.
Complete A/C system
Air pump
Front sway bar
Fog lites
Went to a carb, so removed all the harness and computer
Aluminum heads
W/S/washer and pump
Heater and hoses
Replaced the Alt and P/S brackets with light weight aluminum ones
Installed aluminum UD pullies
Removed the complete under dash air box
Removed inner fender liners
Removed carpet padding
Removed sound deading stuff from flool and firewall
Removed radio and temp controls
Removed all speakers
Removed remote mirror motors
Removed remote trunk and fuel door controls
Removed front and rear inner bumpers
Removed stock exhaust system
Replaced 22 gal gas tank with 16 gal cell in trunk
Removed automatic seat belt system
Replaced 6 way power seats with polly seats
Removed cruise control
Removed charcoil canister system
Replaced steel return fuel system with aluminum
Removed rear seats
Removed rear seat belts
Removed passenger side power window motor
Removed door side impact braces
Removed remote door lock activators
Removed sound deadening from doors
Removed dog bone from rear
Replaced cast rear with Aluminum Cobra diff
Replaced drive shaft with composite one
Removed sun visors
Removed dash boad glove box liner (To make room for mounting MSD Digital 6 box in it)
Fiberglass Hood
Custom Coil Overs
Skinnies on the front
More I am sure that I forgot about over the last 2 1/2 years

Pending:
Lexan windows
Fiberglass Doors
Fiberglass trunk lid

:eek:

Did you do the mark VIII control arms and sway bar in the back?

What about the K member?

392Bird
03-14-2005, 10:57 AM
:eek:

Did you do the mark VIII control arms and sway bar in the back?

What about the K member?

If I have time, I will do the Mark VIII control arms since they are very affordable. I see a complete different rear in my future, so do not want to get too involved there.The K member will be done this coming Winter during Phase IV while putting in the other engine.

T-bird4vr
03-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Any update on the coil overs?

392Bird
03-21-2005, 02:17 PM
OK guys, I have about 400 miles now of driving on city street, dirt road, and interstate driving on these and they work perfect. I pulled both off, and inspected them, and the mounts and found no problems what so ever.

I called the shop today and gave them the details of what can be done to improve them. He told me he would get the needed stock to make them as needed. These will be able to be ordered as adjustable 90/10 where the effort to extend them is adjustable, but the compression is fixed, or they adjust both together. How ever you want them. He will notify me when he is ready to take orders, and the pricing. They will be in the $500 dollar range per set, ready to install.

I will post when he gets back with me, and provide all contact information and pricing.

Randy N Connie
04-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Hate to be a pest,but any updates?

THANKS RANDY

392Bird
04-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Nothing yet. If no word from them by this weekend, I will call them and see what is going on.

Thomas A
04-12-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm still interested. Perhaps a GP would be possible?

Thomas

quick35th
04-18-2005, 12:24 AM
wow I must have missed this thread otherwise I would have been all over it already. So is there going to be a setup for us autocrossers and open track event people. Any info on if there will be ones made for the rear?

Shane

Randy N Connie
04-30-2005, 08:23 AM
Is this project still alive.

Thanks Randy

quick35th
04-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Is this project still alive.

Thanks Randy

I was wandering the same thing Randy. I hope so because I am very interested in a shock for autocross.

Shane

quick35th
05-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Any updates or anything on these guys? I would really like to know how to get a set but it would be nice to have some info.

Shane

Thomas A
05-05-2005, 10:57 PM
I am also still interested, esp if we could setup a GP and maybe get the price closer to the $400 range :D

I can go spread the word on all the Mark VIII boards also. I think some of those guys would be interested in a new alternative to air struts.

Thomas

392Bird
05-06-2005, 01:07 PM
OK, I just got off the phone with them, and here is where it stands now. They want me to try them at the strip a couple of days, then give them full details on what they do or don't do. They want me to send these back for them to dissasemble, inspect, and to alter in any way needed. I am still waiting on my rear end to be completed with the Detroit Locker. I was told yesterday that if all goes well, it should be ready to ship next week. That means by later this month I should have it, the new axles and rear brace installed, some easy street miles on it to break in, then to the strip. I have another photo shoot the last part of June at the Power Tour stop in Nashville, then I hope to pull these and send them in for inspection. Looking at this, it does not look like any hope to get anything going on these till at least mid July. The only thing that I told them that they may wish to do, is increase the total travel of them 1 inch to allow the front to rise more with out pulling the wheels. There is enough suspension travel to allow for this.

That is where it stands now.

Bruce

Thomas A
05-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the update! Mid July would be fine with me. I just wanted to keep the fire lit, and make sure the idea didn't get lost in the shuffle of everything. Thanks again for your effort on this!

Thomas

quick35th
05-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Are there going to be the rear shocks offerd as well down the road?

Shane

mRbojangles
05-29-2005, 05:32 PM
any news on when these will be available?
I want a set of these also for sure!

hellakornhaus
06-23-2005, 05:02 PM
What is the status on these bad boys?

-Kornhaus

392Bird
06-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Looks like it will be awhile. They want me to track test them for a few weeks, then pull them and send them in for inspection and testing. I still have other things going on non car related, plus the trans was getting iffy. I was going to put a Strip Terminator valve body on it, but decided to get the full Strip Terminator with the stag 2 upgrade in it. This will take car of next Winters upgrades also. Lentech was backed up, plus moving to a larger place, but my new transmission will go out tomorrow. Once it it here, installed and run a little, I will be ready to head to the track. I will have this trans brought up to the Strip Term specs and keep as a back up.

The coil overs work very nice so far. I have done a little testing on the street with good results. I did a 10 mph roll with a 04 Cobra, and pulled him at least 1 1/2 cars instantly, and stayed about 1 car ahead of him till around 100, when we had to cut it off because of traffic ahead. The weight transfers GREAT! I know it didn't pull the wheels from the roll, but it hooked great, and seeing what was in front of me became hard with full extension of the front end.

After taking this long to get it to the strip, it will be hard to pull the coil overs out and send them in during prime Summer time. I will see how things look in a couple of weeks. Sorry for the delay.

Randy N Connie
07-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Will it be possible to get a set of these coil over in the next 30 days
or less.I would like to get them on before the OK Shootout in October.

The money that I set aside for this is growing mold! :)

Randy

Thomas A
07-13-2005, 10:09 PM
I am also still interested, but more in the 2-3 month time frame :D

Thomas

tim
07-14-2005, 06:14 PM
I would like Randy to buy me a set!! :eek:

seawalkersee
07-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Will it be possible to get a set of these coil over in the next 30 days
or less.I would like to get them on before the OK Shootout in October.

The money that I set aside for this is growing mold! :)

Randy
No...your moldy money is no good here.

Chris :D

quick35th
08-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Any updates as of late? I am still interested in a set of these for road racing/autocross.

Shane

Thomas A
08-14-2005, 01:18 AM
I e-mailed QA1 and have gotten no response. I will try and call them when I get time.

Thomas

Randy N Connie
08-14-2005, 12:04 PM
I e-mailed QA1 and have gotten no response. I will try and call them when I get time.

Thomas

I talked to QA1 about a couple weeks before this post was
started.They gave me a QA1 dealer name.I talked to the
dealer, he would be more than happy to build me or anyone
a set.But I don't beleive in stepping on toes when getting
parts made.So I have been waiting so long.that my money has
so much mold on it. Now the colors are getting psychedelic.
:)

Same thing for solid aluminum motor mounts.I can make then,
but I am still waiting on them.So I don't rock anyones boat.

I don't need QA1 to build mine I can buy the adjustable shocks
and machine any needed parts to build my own.

Thanks Randy

Randy

Thomas A
08-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Cooool. I guess I will just wait and see what updates come along. Is this something that you are checking up on Randy, or are you just waiting for updates like the rest of us? Just Curious.

Thomas

Randy N Connie
10-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Cooool. I guess I will just wait and see what updates come along. Is this something that you are checking up on Randy, or are you just waiting for updates like the rest of us? Just Curious.

Thomas

I wonder if it would be a good idea to give up on any updates.

Thanks Randy

quick35th
10-03-2005, 12:10 AM
I wonder if it would be a good idea to give up on any updates.

Thanks Randy

At this point Randy I am wandering the same thing. I think I shall just be happy with a set of konis and just be done with it.

Hey theres a shop called True Choice about a block from my house that does all sorts of road racing stuff. If any of you guys have been to Mid-Ohio before you have probably seen their shop that they have there. They are fully equipt to rebuild and build custom Koni shocks in house. Maybe I could get them to do a set for us.

Shane

Jason Wild
10-03-2005, 12:33 AM
I guess this is not going to happen anymore.
I will just go with koni's

seawalkersee
10-03-2005, 01:28 AM
From what I understood, he sent them in for evaluation about a month ago. Of course these are not mustang struts so they are probably on the back burner. Patience grasshoppers...

Chris

Thomas A
10-03-2005, 01:47 AM
Yeah, he said it would be November before anything would be ready.

Thomas

Randy N Connie
10-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Well I am ready for a set again,if I can get them
before the 2006 shootout. :)

THANKS RANDY

T-bird4vr
10-12-2005, 10:32 PM
My next car is going to be a stang, 03-04 mach 1. That way I can get parts for it.

95badbird
10-25-2005, 03:45 PM
damn guys, I'm sure he has other things going on in his life, that doesn't revolve around his car.

Take your time Bruce, I'm glad thier's people like you that take the time and money to better help our fellow MN12er's.

PHRANQUY
10-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Wish I would have run across this about a year ago. Me and a friend were looking at doing this very same thing except more centered around road racing/auto-x. We contacted QA1, but unlike yourself, they weren't of any help at all (QA1 is only about 15 minutes from where I live). Once you get everything straightened out I'd love to hear more, and possibly even get a set for myself. :cool:

quick35th
10-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Right now I am half tempted to just drive a mile down the road from my house to True Choice Motorsports (truechoice.com) and just have them build me some custom Koni coil overs for my 35th. They would be much better suited with my intended use then the QA1's would be but the Konis will be more pricey.

Shane

Thomas A
11-24-2005, 12:51 AM
Friendly bump. I still have faith that this will happen, and am ready to purchase as soon as they become avialable. Any chance it will be before the end of the year?

Thomas

seawalkersee
11-24-2005, 02:49 PM
I would like to field that question...."NOPE"...

Chris

Thomas A
11-30-2005, 01:35 AM
Okay, I'm done waiting. Does anyone know of the shop that built these so I can call them myself and see what I can get accomplished?

Thomas

Thomas A
12-14-2005, 01:03 AM
I'm going to be getting ahold of some contacts I have in the Performance Parts industry and see what I can get done.

Thomas

quick35th
12-14-2005, 09:44 AM
I still plan on contacting True Choice about having some Koni coil overs made for our cars. I just have not had the time to drive the couple miles it is from my house to chat with them. I think next wensday if I am not to hung over from my 21st Bday party I should be able to go over there and talk to them.

Shane

Thomas A
12-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Posted today on TCCoA:

I have to do some work on my daily driver this weekend, and need to keep the bird ready for daily driver duty till the other is done. Should be ready to pull the coil overs, torque converter, and rear end for planed work some time next week. I will send the QA1s in for inspection during this time. After they are inspected, they will decide on what and when to to proceed. I want to plot them on my buddies shock dyno before shipping them also.

Thomas

quick35th
12-17-2005, 04:20 AM
Posted today on TCCoA:

Thomas

Well sounds like there is still hope then for coil overs for the SC.

Shane

PReDiTR91
01-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Any body have any info on the coilovers? Im in no hurry, just wondering.:) PReDiTR91:cool:

tim
01-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Like everything else for these car they will cost a ton.:eek:

XxSlowpokexX
01-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Thomas,

Any reputeable chasis shop should be able to do something for us or at least one individual. Is there anything by you that maybe you can drive to and say hey...WHat can you do for me? I was installing rear coil over setups in my mustang back in 1990 when no company would have even touched it. A shop is probably your best bet. Its usually pretty easy to put something together like that. Havnt really looked at the SC suspension setup enough to see what could be done however I am sure a shop can do it

Thomas A
01-04-2006, 12:38 AM
Hrrmmm.... I really don't have anyone in the area that I would trust to do it. I do have extra struts and cars and such that could be used for such a project, but no company close. I'm still willing to give this QA1 coilovers a chance.

Thomas

tim
01-04-2006, 12:47 AM
Alston chassis is 2 blocks from my house. They can and will do anything. Got deep pockets?

CMac89
01-15-2006, 01:39 PM
What's the dealyo on this?

Thomas A
02-08-2006, 03:10 AM
:confused: TTT Are you still out there Bruce??

Thomas

quick35th
02-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Just courious but how many people would be interested in a set of Konis instead of QA1 coil overs? I am hoping that I can get to True Choice after work tonight to find out if they would build and what it would cost for them to build a set of shocks for the MN12. I would though like to have some sort of idea for them of how many other people would be interested in a set to bring costs down. Also if someone could supply me with measurements of the front shocks (mounts, shock length, travel).

Shane

Thomas A
02-08-2006, 12:12 PM
You can already buy Koni's for the Thunderbird Struts up front, and shocks for the back. SuperCoupe Performance sells them.

Thomas

Randy N Connie
02-08-2006, 12:47 PM
You can already buy Koni's for the Thunderbird Struts up front, and shocks for the back. SuperCoupe Performance sells them.

Thomas

But the fronts do not have threaded aluminum bodies.So you or I can
adjust the spring height.

Randy

quick35th
02-08-2006, 09:45 PM

Randy

Exactly. Basically I would like a set of Konis just like these Qa1's, but not Qa1's. I did go to True Choice today but they moved and I have no idea where they moved to. I'll have to see if their old phone number still works and find out where they moved to.

Shane

Thomas A
02-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood. Sounds great, let us know what you come up with!

Thomas

seawalkersee
02-09-2006, 12:45 AM

Randy
I have a die grinder that works PERFECT for that.

Chris

CMac89
02-09-2006, 02:02 AM
True Choice for me has been the best for the front and Afco's have been the best in the back. That would be a very interesting setup on these cars for their weight.

seawalkersee
02-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Mike Siskas car was in the latest eddition of Ford Builder. It says that he has Cobra shocks in the rear that are Bilsteines but that does not help us up front.

Chris

Thomas A
02-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm down for QA1, Koni, Bilstein, etc. As long at it is a light weight, adjustable with different weighted springs, and, light weight, I'm in. :D

Thomas

CMac89
02-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Is 392Bird still around?

This would definitely be something that I would go for. Maybe somebody else can pick up where he left off.

Jason Wild
02-12-2006, 06:19 PM
I like this idea of something that you can adjust the spring height.
I have a set of the cobra Bilsteines for the rear if any one wants the part number.

Jason Wild
02-14-2006, 05:47 PM
I found this today I think it might work.
http://www.ground-control-store.com/images/fullsize/4516_fs.jpg

95badbird
02-15-2006, 04:04 PM
I found this today I think it might work.
http://www.ground-control-store.com/images/fullsize/4516_fs.jpg

okay, what is it?:confused:

Thomas A
02-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Looks like an adjustable coil over spring for a Honda Civic.

Thomas

seawalkersee
02-15-2006, 08:28 PM
I could SOOOOOO adapt that to the set of Konis that I am building for my buddy. They are the kind that you have to cut the strut inards out of.

Chris

Jason Wild
02-15-2006, 11:32 PM
it's a coil over converstion kit the price on them is a little hight at about 300-400$ right now there are kits for mustang and taurus(sp)
So maybe we can get a thunderbird kit made up.

Thomas A
02-17-2006, 02:24 PM
E-mail I got back from Bruce:

Hello Thomas,
Sorry for the big delay. I have had several non car related problems develop
this Winter, and am way behind schedule on this Winters project. I should of
had my sub frame connectors fabricated, installed, and roll bar in by now, and
doing only the little things. My sub frames are going to be much more
substantial than those on other Birds, and welded in. I need it sitting on the
wheels at its normal stance to do it correctly, so have not pulled the coil
overs yet. I was going to install my old oem shocks/springs, and ship the coil
overs, but remembered that I had given my old ones to a guy that had bent one,
and did not have money for a new set.

I will contact the shop next week and see if they can do the coil overs with
out me sending mime in to inspect. I was going to post a reply on the Forum
yesterday, but my computer had a hard drive crash Wednesday, and had to dig
this OLD 386 out to use for now, and it will not even show the reply box at
the bottom of the forum pages. I guess they are done with Java, and this thing
and its old browser will not process it. It does not have a big enough HD to
even down load another browser. :( I have a new Dell ordered, and should be
here Monday.

Right now the car is sitting on tall ramps with ropes secured to the bottom as
I lay out how I want to do the sub frame connectors. I took a few pictures
yesterday, but this does not have a USB port to load the pictures, or enough
HD space to receive them.

I had hopes to be at the local strip at the opening in Mid March, but with all
of my other non related problems, I drought I will make it by mid April.

Feel free to post this on TCCoA and SCCoA.

Sorry,
Bruce

95badbird
02-17-2006, 09:28 PM
E-mail I got back from Bruce:
Thanks.

Nick

Randy N Connie
03-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Any info or update from anyone on getting front adjustable coil overs built.

The only problem in getting aluminum coilover adjustable shock for are cars.
Is the bottom bolt hole connection. Would it be possible to cut the bottom
mount of a aluminum adjustable shock. Then machine a sleave to go over the
cut end of the shock. That can be slotted down the side ,with bolts to apply clamping force. And have the new billet machined forked end to bolt onto are lower control arm.
Randy

392Bird
03-20-2006, 12:41 PM
I just talked to the shop that did my coil overs. They are ready to do these for any one else now. You can contact them here.

http://www.dndracetech.com/home.htm

They take standard 2 1/2 x 14 springs that you have to order. They run around $40 for 2 from Summit or Jegs. I Have 250# on mine now, but will drop in a set of 200 or 225 and see how they work.

I do not remember what these cost, and forgot to ask him. I know they were $5??. I have had mine for 2 years, and have had 0 problems with them. I did put a stainless steel hose clamp under the adjuster rings so they could not move accidentally.

Here are the coil overs on my Bird
http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/coilovers.htm

Thomas A
03-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Excellent!! This is will work our perfectly for me! Sooo, who wants to call and see if we can get a Group Purchase discount going? :D

Thomas

seawalkersee
03-20-2006, 02:11 PM
So....let me get this stright. $40 for the build, $40 for the springs, the cost of QA1s, and a few dollars for some other misc parts? That can not be right. We are not that lucky.

Chris

Randy N Connie
03-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Bruce Thanks for getting this together and sharing your info with use.

I just want a set because they are pretty. :)

THANKS Randy

tim
03-22-2006, 09:08 AM
I want a set cause they look like they will work.

Randy N Connie
03-22-2006, 09:18 AM
I want a set cause they look like they will work.

Looks are more important.!!!!
:cool: Randy

quick35th
03-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Is there going to be a set available for people with autocross/road racing in mind instead of drag racing?

Shane

Randy N Connie
03-22-2006, 09:39 AM
If they are rebuildable in just a few minutes. I would think the valveing
could be changed inside the shock. To have one shock body work for
Roadracing and dragracing. To make a perfect dual use shock,I suppose
the springs would need to be swapped also.

I don't know, but sounds reasonable to me.:)

Randy

seawalkersee
03-22-2006, 12:25 PM
I think what I am going to do is get a set of mustang units and add the lower portion that would adapt them to our cars.

Chris

XxSlowpokexX
03-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Shane with the right spring rates which can be changed and the right setting on the shoxs of course

Now we just need a rear set and I'm sure they can make those as well. Rears would be much easier

seawalkersee
03-22-2006, 03:26 PM
IRS cobra units are what Siska is using on his ride. I dont thing they are coilovers but that is the direction I am taking.

Chris

CMac89
03-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Is there going to be a set available for people with autocross/road racing in mind instead of drag racing?

Shane
Like Damon said, the only big differences between the drag type setup and AX/RR is spring rate. All other features can be changed my shock setting.

Thomas A
03-22-2006, 03:53 PM
I guess these are going to be made out of Platnium. They quoted Vic on TCCoA $650 + Shipping for a pair of these. That is just stupidly overpriced. By the time you buy the springs from Summit they would cost over $700. :eek:

I could see paying around $500 for the complete setup, but I can't justify spending another $200 on top of that. :mad:

Thomas

quick35th
03-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Yeah I am with you Thomas on this one. $650 is to expensive for my blood right now. I think I'll pass and find a cheaper alternative.

Shane

tim
03-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Own a S.C. get ripped off every time. I think I will go with a set of stock v6 springs and shocks. Not as fancy but a lot cheaper. I like cheap.

Jason Wild
03-22-2006, 05:21 PM
that to much for me as well. I guess I might do my own coil over converstion.
I will post pics

Randy N Connie
03-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Thomas Did you by any chance get how much the coil over adjustable
shock weight would be?

XxSlowpokexX
03-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Yes people have run Cobra rear bilstiens on thier cars. I dont see the big deal to be honest with ya. Its just the shock.

I know for my fox bodied cougar I spent roughly 300 for my coil over setup without shox. Those shox are pretty expensive and being ist custom for an SC..The price isnt all that expensive. We spend 500 for an M( inlet which is a peice of cast aluminum yet wont buy a custom set of shox...All depends on what you want I guess

392Bird
03-22-2006, 07:20 PM
I think that price Vic quoated says with springs. I would guess Retail price on the QA1 type springs is around $50, but I got mine from Summit for $34.
That make the QA1 units close to 600, which is still high, but not that bad for something like this.

For the guys that do get them, I made a little install page up that should get you going in the correct direction at least.

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/coiloverinstall.htm

95badbird
03-23-2006, 09:20 PM
So, who's down for a group buy?

Thomas A
03-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Here is the Group Purchase Info. Let's try to keep any discussion in this thread.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=512704#post512704

Thomas

Mike8675309
03-28-2006, 08:04 PM
How workable on a street/strip car would these shocks be. Was going to be getting Koni's with some lowering springs, but now I'm thinking these for the front and Koni's for the rear?

Thomas A
03-28-2006, 10:45 PM
They reccomended 150# springs with a 70/30 valving for street/strip when I asked. I also plan to run these up front with Koni's in the rear.

Thomas

Randy N Connie
03-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Tim you will need to know the weight of the front end of your car
before placing an order.

For just drag racing ONLY. I was under the impression that a
90/10 shock works best .

I am also under the impression that the QA-1 & other rebuildable
shocks .You can change the dampening & rebound of the shocks
by changeing the size of the orifice in the washers that control
leak down inside of the shocks. This added to the exturnal
adjustment knob on the bottom of a QA-1 shock for adjustments.

So I would think it possible to have one pair of shocks. That could
be set up for street, roadracing or dragracing. Instead of just
setup in the general area to be multi use schock set up.
You would just need to take the shock apart and change orificet.
And then fine tune with exturnal adjustment knob.

Are my thoughts and impressions correct?

Before I jump in on the group buy.I would want to know the
weight of, or the weight savings. From swapping from the stock
set up to the aluminum adjustable coil over setup?

And can I buy or would anyone know were I could buy chrome
springs for this setup?

Thanks Randy

pablon2
03-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Will these not work with a lowered vehicle? Meaning, the vehicle will no longer be lowered?

quick35th
03-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Will these not work with a lowered vehicle? Meaning, the vehicle will no longer be lowered?

The shock bodys are threaded so you can adjust the heigth to your likings.

Shane

95badbird
03-29-2006, 05:37 PM
My question is, How exactly do we know what size/pound spring rate to get?

My car weighs roughly 3050 by itself.(as of right now)
I'm still hoping to get it around 2700 with a cage all liquids and me inside the car.

Thomas A
03-29-2006, 10:27 PM
95BadBird,

I would contact D&D about that. They should be able to help you out as far as figuring out what you will need.

Randy,

I did ask about the weight of them. The answer I got was:

The
weight of the struts and springs is roughly 25 lbs depending on the spring
rate.

They did not specify if that was for the pair or individual. I am thinking that it almost has to be for the pair, as a single stock unit wieghs in around 21-22lbs each.

HAL-QA1 does offer a chrome plated spring. You can get them from Summit, or I'm sure you can have D&D build them with the chrome springs for an additional cost if you ask them.

Thomas

95badbird
03-29-2006, 10:43 PM
95BadBird,

I would contact D&D about that. They should be able to help you out as far as figuring out what you will need.

Thomas
Yeah, I need to call them.

Well, I've got half the money now, I just wish my friend would give me the cash that he owes me for buying my N20 kit.

PReDiTR91
03-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Ive never done a group buy before so how does it work? Who collects the cash? Thomas said in the other post that they need 5 people for the discount, my question is will they send the cash in when they get the first 5 or will they let more people in on the group buy? "PReDiTR91"

Thomas A
03-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Check out my response in the GP thread. Hope that answers your questions.

Thomas

tim
03-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Well I had to spend more money on my truck today. It will be a while before I can do this . It sounds like a way to really cut some et.:D

VicRattlehead
06-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Bruce and Thomas

Bruce, first thank you for getting the QA1's from concept to reality. I got my qa1's this evening and cant wait to get them in the car and test them out.

Thomas, thank you for getting the gp setup with denny, money saved on one part goes right back into the car in other places.

Thomas A
06-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Not a problem. I'm glad I was able to help the community out. That's what it's all about with these GP's. Let me know how you like them!

Thomas

VicRattlehead
06-01-2006, 10:50 PM
I did ask about the weight of them. The answer I got was:

The
weight of the struts and springs is roughly 25 lbs depending on the spring
rate.

They did not specify if that was for the pair or individual. I am thinking that it almost has to be for the pair, as a single stock unit wieghs in around 21-22lbs each.

Thomas

i threw mine on the bathroom digital scale, came up to 12.8lbs/each for this....

http://rattleheadracing.net/qa1/DSC03092.JPG
http://rattleheadracing.net/qa1/DSC03093.JPG
http://rattleheadracing.net/qa1/DSC03094.JPG

95badbird
09-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Soooooo, how is everyone enjoying their QA1's?

I sure like mine:D

VicRattlehead
09-25-2006, 10:57 PM

mine are still in the box

XxSlowpokexX
09-26-2006, 12:30 AM
they look sweet..Would love to hear about drive quality issues or lack of...Now you just need a rear setup and it be good to go..

Dialing in the shox must be a nightmare however...I know with my Konis it was

PReDiTR91
09-27-2006, 11:54 PM

Mine are in the trunk! My whole car is still under construction. What springs did you end up going with after all?

95badbird
09-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Mine are in the trunk! My whole car is still under construction. What springs did you end up going with after all?
325 pound.
My car also weighs 3080 with me out of it.

95badbird
09-28-2006, 03:04 PM
they look sweet..Would love to hear about drive quality issues or lack of...Now you just need a rear setup and it be good to go..

Dialing in the shox must be a nightmare however...I know with my Konis it was
The drive is actually nice with the 90/10's and 325 pound shock that I run.
Even with running 165R15's up front, it takes turns just fine....just no sporting around if you know what I mean(on running skinnies).
At the track, they do a great job as well.
My front end doesn't bounce around like it used to.

Now for the rear, I think a good back halve is in order.

seawalkersee
09-28-2006, 10:41 PM
The drive is actually nice with the 90/10's and 325 pound shock that I run.
Even with running 165R15's up front, it takes turns just fine....just no sporting around if you know what I mean(on running skinnies).
At the track, they do a great job as well.
My front end doesn't bounce around like it used to.

Now for the rear, I think a good back halve is in order.
Got any updated videos yet?

Chris

95badbird
09-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Got any updated videos yet?

Chris
Maybe.....
Have you seen these?
vid 1 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7201590167248446379&hl=en)
vid 2 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3946308751607486596&hl=en)

I'm hopefully going to the track again in October, to get some new (hopefully better) times.

PReDiTR91
10-01-2006, 01:34 PM
That thing sounds bad@$$!!! Damn I wish my car was finished!!! "PReDiTR91"

PHRANQUY
10-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Have they done anything with valving more oriented to the auto-x/road race applications yet?

seawalkersee
10-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Maybe.....
Have you seen these?
vid 1 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7201590167248446379&hl=en)
vid 2 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3946308751607486596&hl=en)

I'm hopefully going to the track again in October, to get some new (hopefully better) times.
I had not seen the night race before. What is that thing runnin that you dont have to wear a helmet? 14 flats is the limit right? Did the coil overs help you on the launch?

Chris

95badbird
10-03-2006, 02:35 PM
I had not seen the night race before. What is that thing runnin that you dont have to wear a helmet? 14 flats is the limit right? Did the coil overs help you on the launch?

Chris
I can't seem to get my car out of the 14's.....14.13 @96 is my best so far.
But that was in horrible air(2200+ DA)....so hopefully with the mods I've done since those times, I should hit a nice 13.xx.

I do believe the QA1's helped, as the front end didn't bounce on me like before....before it would bounce a little, unload the rear, and spin the tires off. I had to be careful when coming out of the hole.

Mercutio
10-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Have they done anything with valving more oriented to the auto-x/road race applications yet?

Yes. They valved mine for street/autocross/road race, and I love them. I run mine on the sixth click of 12 and use 450-pound springs. FWIW, my car weighs 3600 even without me in it. At first I tried 350 pound springs and they weren't heavy enough for what I needed.

seawalkersee
10-03-2006, 09:59 PM
I can't seem to get my car out of the 14's.....14.13 @96 is my best so far.
But that was in horrible air(2200+ DA)....so hopefully with the mods I've done since those times, I should hit a nice 13.xx.

I do believe the QA1's helped, as the front end didn't bounce on me like before....before it would bounce a little, unload the rear, and spin the tires off. I had to be careful when coming out of the hole.
I think a stall would help you out GREATLY. What is your cam/intake/head combo?

Chris

95badbird
10-03-2006, 10:17 PM
I think a stall would help you out GREATLY. What is your cam/intake/head combo?

Chris
the motor and tranny(C6) are both stock.
The H/CI/ is all stock.