Need help with no starting

thunderbird89sc

Car will not fire the fuel injectors

When i try to start my car the Check engine like bearly comes on and the upshift light doesn't come on at all. The fuel Pump will not run unless the key is in the ACC postion. Then the upshift light comes on. Also the Rad fan turns on as soon as I turn the key to acc run or start. I have replaced the EEC and the fuel Pump. There was a fire that burnt the Fuse box under the hood. So I got a used wiring harness that has all of the wires for the whole car.
There Is spark when i try to start the car.The fuel pump runs if i run a jumper wire from the battery to the pump. However the injectors will not fire. And i noticed that the tach jumps around when trying to start the car. it will go from 0 up to 3000. If anyone has any ideas please help me. I have been fighting with this car off and on for almost a year now.
I am going to try to pull the codes and see what the computer says.
Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
look at wiring diagram.....mainly how the EEC relay and fuel pump relay are ..wired together...the other thing in relation to the EEC relay and the fuel pump relay/pump ..are the fans running ... the IRCM ..home the EEC relay and fan relays...simply put ...you turn the key to start or run ...power is sent via the yellow wire .. from high current fuse box to EEC relay in the Ircm ..relay closes providing power to the red wire....which fires up the EEC.... fuel injectors..and wakes the fuel pump relay up..through the inertia switch ...which should close the contacts in the fuel pump relay ...suppling power to the ...fuel pump via it's own fused power curcuit black/yellow wire..to pink/black wire ...easy test... is to take voltmeter and check for power ...at red wire on inertia switch ..[key in run position]....and that will tell you ..if you are getting power from the EEC relay /fuel pump relay and injectors ..and then work from there....dave

Attachments

• 89-90.jpg
    89-90.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 56
Well I got a code scanner and tomorrow i am going to pull the codes. I need to know how hard it is to replace the fuse box under the hood and its wiring harness. I have both. i just don't want to have to take a bunch of crap off the car to do it.
Matt

EEC for 1989 NON-Supercharged

I believe that the EEC you installed is for a 1998 Non-Supercharge application.
If you count over from the left on the plug, you'll see that the 11th one over is going to the speed control system for the '89 non-supercharge one. On the EEC for a supercharge engine, the 11th one over is going to the fuel pump relay. If i'm correct, this would explain the fuel pump not running, and the tach jumping to 3000 RPMS. My guess is that the radiator fan comes on in ACC for the same reason, you have an '89 EEC for a non-supercharge engine.

Well I have two EEcs the one that is in the car now came with the car. the kid that owned it before i did. (the car fell on him and killed him, he was a friend of my cousin) anyway the kid hads taken out the SC motor and put in a 5.0 mustang motor. so i put a SC back in. so i will switch the computers around and see what happens. Anymore ideas would be nice. anything you guys got is always great.

Matt

MercsSC said:
look at wiring diagram.....mainly how the EEC relay and fuel pump relay are ..wired together...the other thing in relation to the EEC relay and the fuel pump relay/pump ..are the fans running ... the IRCM ..home the EEC relay and fan relays...simply put ...you turn the key to start or run ...power is sent via the yellow wire .. from high current fuse box to EEC relay in the Ircm ..relay closes providing power to the red wire....which fires up the EEC.... fuel injectors..and wakes the fuel pump relay up..through the inertia switch ...which should close the contacts in the fuel pump relay ...suppling power to the ...fuel pump via it's own fused power curcuit black/yellow wire..to pink/black wire ...easy test... is to take voltmeter and check for power ...at red wire on inertia switch ..[key in run position]....and that will tell you ..if you are getting power from the EEC relay /fuel pump relay and injectors ..and then work from there....dave

...... and the wrist bone is connected to the, arm bone, and the arm bone is connected to the elbow bone.... and the elbow bone is connected.............

oooppppssss!!!!

Sorry ;)

Frit

Back