PDA

View Full Version : best aftermarket head

crush
02-20-2005, 08:49 PM
hey guys.. i found rebuilt 3.8's at a realy good price through a reply from one of my previous posts.. i was thinking about just buying another longblock to throw on my engine stand.. at 1500 its not that bad of price..my question is if you had the choice of any aftermarket head what would you buy?

or if you are going to port the stock head what would you do to make it reliable and definately bullit proof.. if im going to spend the cash.. id rather do it right the first time..not have to fix a bunch of problems do to other part failure..

thanx guys

MIKE 38sc
02-20-2005, 10:35 PM
There are no aftermarket heads for the 3.8 SC engine. There are a few places that port the stock heads and a few of us have modified our own heads. Depends on what you want to do to them and what kind of skills you have.

crush
02-21-2005, 12:13 AM
damn..looks like im going to have to go coy miller then..the stage 2 head package looks good and the cost isnt too bad..im wonderous what kind of hp gain it is..i still have my zr motorsports intake,scperformance 10% pulley and raised top from my 90 sc..i figure head work,arp head bolts,fel-pro head gasket,low-temp Tstat and a free flowing exhaust will keep familiar head gasket problems to a minimum.. last time i bought dynoman superflow exhaust with terminator resanator.. i would like something with more sound.

here's a open question..if you had 3200 and the modds already completed above.. what would you get next..to either help daily drivability/reliability
or just improve power and performance..suspension and wheels ive already taken care of..picked anyway..

thanks for the info fellas keep it comming..

Motohead
02-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Look Here http://www.apten-us.com/scheads/38heads.html

mn12sc35th
02-21-2005, 12:29 AM
Coy isn't the only place for head setups for our cars though... (he seems overpriced to me though) Check out Steigemeier (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57465) or Supersix Motorsports (www.supersixmotorsports.com). Both Super6 and Steigemeier offer a good head setup for under 1500$ (both of em showing up to 220I/185E or higher).

David Neibert
02-21-2005, 01:37 AM
If doing it over, I would buy the Steigemeier stage III heads.

David

Motohead
02-21-2005, 08:59 PM
If doing it over, I would buy the Steigemeier stage III heads.

David
What are you running now??

Mikessupercoupe
02-21-2005, 09:28 PM
hey guys.. i found rebuilt 3.8's at a realy good price through a reply from one of my previous posts.. i was thinking about just buying another longblock to throw on my engine stand.. at 1500 its not that bad of price..my question is if you had the choice of any aftermarket head what would you buy?

or if you are going to port the stock head what would you do to make it reliable and definately bullit proof.. if im going to spend the cash.. id rather do it right the first time..not have to fix a bunch of problems do to other part failure..

thanx guys
Try XR7DAVE as he is a dealer for steigemeier heads and the prices he posted last week or two were pretty nice

email him at mdkracing@alltel

:cool:

Jake
02-21-2005, 09:34 PM
From David Niebert's members page

ESM/Wise Racing Engines Customs Heads w/oversized intake ports, oversized valves, bronze guides, welded "D" shaped exhaust ports, PSI springs and Del West titanum retainers.

Mikessupercoupe
02-21-2005, 09:36 PM

thanx guys
XR7Dave is a dealer for steigemeier heads now and he posted some pretty nice prices last week for their setups. He is at mdkracing@alltel. I have them on my car

Mike :cool:

Mike

91supacoop
02-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Steig heads do flow better than coy's. However from the mods you have, either head would be able to flow sufficiently, i would go with the cheaper of the two, whatever that may be. Personally i am doing coy miller stage 2 motor, so i just went with his heads also.

David Neibert
02-22-2005, 12:07 AM

I originally had a set of custom heads and a matching intake manifold made by ESM. The valves and seats are oversized and the intake ports were increased in height to the point that I can not use stock gaskets.

The first set of valve springs we used didn't work too well and broke 9 of the 12 inner springs. I was getting valve float at 5400 rpms. Switched to a different style spring and that worked better but the cam didn't have enough duration or lift to make top end power.

To accomidate a more agressive cam, required reworking the heads and using valves with longer stems to prevent coil bind when lifting a little over .600. While Stegimeier was re-doing the valves and springs I had them weld up the exhaust ports. Chris Wise did the final porting and polishing on the exhaust side and left the intakes alone since they were already flowing good.

I kept tearing rocker studs out of the heads and eventually helicoiled every thread. They held up pretty good for about three months, and another stud came out just after the dyno portion of the 2003 shootout. Unfortunatly it got tangled up with another rocker and ended up bending one of the valves.

With some help from Rich Bhrun and Andy Erickson I got some large shank studs reworked to work with my rockers, and had Stegimeier repair the heads again and remachine them and the pushrod guides to accept the larger studs. Then for good measure I had the studs tack welded to the pushrod guide plates to make sure they didn't come unscrewed. While he was working on them Bob Stegimeier did a little more work in the combustion chambers to promote better low lift flow on the intakes.

Since bolting those heads down in October 2003, they haven't came off the motor. But I did pull the motor in April 2004 to fix a damaged cam (from a broken lifter retainer) and replace a bunch of other parts that got trashed in the process. I decided I was tired of breaking the valvetrain every few months, and installed a less agressive cam that only lifts to around .529.

Last summer while trying to find a miss in the engine, I discovered that all the valve seals had torn in half and the oil was fouling the plugs. I used compressed air to hold the valves in place while I removed the springs, threaded the guide boss and installed new valve stem seals. I haven't driven the car much over the winter but I think everything with the heads are fine now.

The end result is a set of heads that are very similar to Steg stage IIIs but with bigger valves, bigger seats, bigger intake runners and bullet proof rocker studs. I've got about three times as much $ invested in these heads as it would cost for a set of Steg stage IIIs. And the Stegs will make just as much power.

David

CMac89
02-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Dave,

It really does take money, especially an 11 second 4000+lb car, to keep it running at its best. You can throw money at a car like crazy and expect it to do something, but it didnt. In our NHRA SuperStocker, we just got a set of 1973 Pontiac 455 SuperDuty heads done for $5500 and it only flows 20 cfm more than the other set of SD heads. We have a big $15,000 pile in the corner of our garage that we call "***** that don't work." :D

Back to original subject, the Steg heads are alot better than stock heads. If you count what the F-bodies get, even Mustangs, these heads are pretty overpriced. F-bodies heads flow 240cfm on a SuperFlow stock and they can get AFR 225's that flow 320 out of the box for less money than the Stage III Steg's. If you have the money though, i'd go ahead and get the Steg stage III heads. People are putting out good numbers with them.

crush
02-22-2005, 02:13 AM
how much do the steg heads run and where can a guy go to get a RELIABLE sc mechanic to install them .. im just south of pittsburgh but i realy dont mind driving a long distance or paying a decent labor rate for a good tech..

let me know fellas and thanx for the info!!

brian