Can I run open headers?

Tony8470

I kind of got carried away trying to finish my car tonite, tried to make the female end of my cat back bigger to where it was (before being clamped). I took a piece of exhaust, hammered it in there, and went a little too far. I cant get the pipe out, and I can't think of any other way than to take it to meineke or some place and pay them $20 to get it out for me. I just need to drive it about 6 miles.

I can put my downtubes on if I can run it like that for the 6 miles?

Yes with the down tubes it will be okay to drive it a short distance. Just keep the windows down to get plenty of air in the car. Don't want you passing out from carbon monoxide posioning.

David

No it shouldn't have anything to do with a backfire, and even if it did that wouldn't hurt the supercharger.

Your biggest problem is going to be the noise it makes, and not getting a ticket because of it.

David

My car had been down for about 2-years and I went to drive it about 10mi to a custom exhaust shop. I drove it with just headers, downpipes and cats, trust me it's loud.

When I pulled off the highway the car stalled and when I went to start it the battery was dead. My father who was following me pulls around and we set up some jumpers. Of course I'm sitting at the end of a busy exit ramp making a mess of traffic and long comes the police. They give me the the bit about having to get it towed etc if it doesn't start (all the while I'm more worried about what he'll think if it does start) this all takes a few minutes. I jump it the car, it fires up (loud as hell), the cop who was now directing traffic gives me the evil glare, and I take off leaving my father holding jumper cables with this cop.

Well I made it the last mile to the shop and the car dies in the parking lot, again dead. My father comes along a few minutes later laughing, the cop turned out to be really cool. I wound up changing the alternator in the exhaust shop parking lot.

All-in-all things worked out OK, but it was touch and go for a few minutes.

Sure, you can do it. But avoid the cops, and get some ear plugs, my friends exhuast literally fell off of his car when he was doing 55 down i-75, it was the funniest thing in the world until he got pulled over... as long as it's for a short distance at a lower speed, I don't thin you'll have too much of a problem.

-Chad

Haha good story :p . I just got home with the car. (It's about midnight) I told myself that the nieghbors must think we are the black sheep of the area. Oh well, one night never hurt anyone. Thanks for the advice though. I thought I remembered reading about backfiring and blowing the supercharger up, but I guess I was wrong. Anyways, these V6 engines sound like absolute crap without an exhaust. V8-ok, V6-neeeeeeeegative.

Back