PDA

View Full Version : Check Gage Light stays on

xThunderbirdSCx
02-21-2005, 05:08 AM
Hey guys, heres the problem. I have aftermarket oil, water and boost guages and they all work fine, except that the check gage light is constantly on and i dont know whats causing it. Any ideas? I have the T splitter for the water temp, but not for the oil. The stock boost gage works, but the stock water and oil do not, only the 2 aftermarket ones. Please help. Thanks alot.

J.D.
02-21-2005, 12:22 PM
The stock gauges don't trigger the check gauge light when they malfunction, the actual sensors do. The sensors are the coolant temp. sensor, the oil pressure switch, and the fuel sender. One by one disconnect the stock wire from each sensor and see when the check gauge light goes out. This will indicate which aftermarket gauge is triggering the light. If the light stays on after all the wires have been disconnected, then you may have a short in the wiring or the check gauge module in the instrument cluster may be defective or not seated fully.

crzykyman
02-21-2005, 03:13 PM
you could take the light out.. :)

BT Motorsports
02-21-2005, 10:19 PM
You need to ground the oil sending unit wire for the stock gauge.

Paul

J.D.
02-21-2005, 11:37 PM
You need to ground the oil sending unit wire for the stock gauge.

Paul
My mistake. :o

SilverCasket
02-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Silly as this sounds. Take a look at the Air Charge Temp Sensor & make sure it has the clip on it. ... For some reason in my auto & 5-Speed, I was able to smack the motor hard enough to somehow unplug the clip from the sensor. I pop the hood & snap the clip back on & the light is gone.

Now this is probably not a normal occurrence, but what the helll.
Anthony

BT Motorsports
02-22-2005, 12:56 PM
I pop the hood & snap the clip back on & the light is gone.
Anthony, the air charge temp sensor triggered the check gauge or the check engine light?

Paul

blue94sc
02-22-2005, 01:37 PM
You could have the codes read to see what the fault is.
AutoZone does it for free as do other automotive stores.
Beats chasing your tail.
Bill

BT Motorsports
02-22-2005, 01:40 PM
You could have the codes read to see what the fault is.
AutoZone does it for free as do other automotive stores.
Beats chasing your tail.
Bill
A check gauges indicator is not the same as a check engine indicator and of itself, does not trigger a fault code. It is to alert the driver of an abnormality being displayed. In this instance, once the oil pressure sending unit lead is grounded, the check gauges light will go out unless it was already on prior to the gauge install for other reasons.

Paul