windows go up crooked

mlbuxbaum

I'm sure I'm not the only person with this problem, but here goes anyway. When my drivers window goes up, it falls forward noticeably. My other bird does it too, but not as bad. Is there a fix kit for this, can I order new tracks or whatever from Ford, or are there any simple solutions? I looked at the tracks yesterday and all I can think of is that the nylon slides inside the track are shot or are the scissor arms shot? It's really annoying to have to push the window back when I roll it up. Also can the window glass be buffed to smooth again? there are some scratches on both.

Remove and check the rear vertical track for rust. It is held on by one bolt on a bracket near the lower end. The top end is a push fit.

mine was doing the same thing. the bolt that holds the track to the door, had broke the sheet metal from the inner door frame. just but a good size washer in between the bolt and door, and make sure the track isnt crushed so the window can slide easily.

Glycerin

Changing the track has got to be a PITA.
Goto ECKERD's Drug store and buy some Glycerin.
Push a straw in the bottle,
put your finger on the end of the straw to hold fluid,
open window all the way,
place straw in forward track, and lift finger, push straw down track.
Works until it rains.

Assembling my fiberglass doors I learned a lot about the power windows. The glass rear attachment may have come out. It glues in with clear RTV into a plastic holder that bolts to the top of the scissor like assembly that raises and lowers the glass. If it's come unglued in the back the front one is soon to go. You'll need to remove the inner door panel to get access. Try lubricating the track with lots of silicone. It's all actually quite easy to remove the glass and track, a 20 min job.

My 95 was doing that on the passenger side. It looked to me like the scissor part was FUBAR. I went to the bone yard and got another one to replace it. Problem solved.

How do you even get that scissor bar out of the door?

First you have to remove the 2 nuts hlding it to the glass. There is a nut on either side of the door that needs to be removed from the horizontal track the rollers ride in and then you have to drill out the 4 rivets right where the window motor is.
I bought the new rivets from the dealership. The hardest part is finding a rivet gun that will install a 1/4" pop rivet.

Back