~::~general Maintenence~::~

X

xThunderbirdSCx

After looking for what i think is hours, i cant seem to find a nice set of general maintenence-by-mileage set of "rules" to follow. Like "around 100,000 miles you may have to consider replacing the ___________________ and start using _________" or whatever. You get the idea. I know there are alot of people who are knowledgeable around here whove had their cars for a long time and could scrap one together in no time. So i say lets just start this thread and everyone add something here and there piece by piece to end up having a nice schedule. Im looking for a good general-good-habit schedule to live by to make my SC last for a long time. Thanks alot everyone, and everyone put in a piece of mind.

change oil and filter every 3000 miles and check the supercharger oil once every 2 or 3 oil changes mine is at 225 k miles still goin

Official Answers Here...

You'll find that if you invest in the Factory Shop Manual, it has information on every possible aspect of the car.It's got 18 Groups of info, special tools, part numbers, exploded diagrams, everything down to the smallest detail. It is very well written, and its worth is invaluable, as far as information covered.
Its a bit pricey at around $80 bucks, but well worth it. Its at least 3 inches thick. Mine came with my car, but you should be able to special order one for your year from your local Ford dealer. It covers so much more than the typical aftermarket "manual", its not even funny! As far as what you should do and when, for maintenance, it has an extensive section covering every detail, down to lubing the door pins, and even tells you what the factory reccomends for grease, oils, lubricants, etc. VERY COMPLETE!

'95 SC Auto
'97 F-150-5.4 V8
'01 Honda XR650R-"King of the Baja 1000"

SC Maintenance is fairly straight forward.

Every 3-5,000m change engine oil & filter.
Every 10,000m grease the tie-rod ball joints and rotate & balance tires.
Every 30,000m - replace air filter( maybe 20k if you live in an Urban area), fuel filter, pcv valve, auto trans fluid (full flush including TC) and check SC fluid. Also check brake pads (especially fronts if an auto trans).
Every 60,000m replace double plat plugs & consider replacing wires. Also about max life for all brake pads (grease caliper pins & flush brake fluid at the same time). Check all belts & hoses (replace if 5 years old).
At 100,000m I'd definitely replace the plug wires, SC fluid, Differential fluid, trans fluid (if a 5 speed) and shocks.

Back