Is this normal?

rzibilske77

when i first start my car & push brake to put car in gear, should the firm ride light come on, it stays on for about 10 seconds then goes off.
It does work correctly as too my driving, like higher speeds, typical quick manuevring.

Firm Ride Light

From what I read, the firm light will come on if the pressure you are applying to the brake pedal is forceful enough when at a stop. If forgot how many foot pounds you would have to apply with your foot, but I think it was around 25 lbs per square inch? So, yes it's normal if you are putting pressure on the pedal beyound the point the car is not moving. Remember that the firm ride comes on under hard braking, so same idea.

Firm Ride Light

Discipled1 is absolutely correct. High Pedal Pressure will cause the light to come on, especially upon start-up. As soon as you are in gear and underway, the light goes off. I've noticed this too. Its only on start up though, if you are at a light in Drive, with your foot on the brake, with normal pressure, the firm ride light does not light. In the shop manual it explains that this is normal. I believe its due to the system doing an initail check on start-up, and when it sees strong pedal pressure, activates the firm ride mode.

'95 SC Auto in Tri-coat Pearl-
Loaded w/ full options-
K & N Panel, more mods on the way-
Bone Stock, runs great, still fast at 100K-

95pearlbird said:
Its only on start up though, if you are at a light in Drive, with your foot on the brake, with normal pressure, the firm ride light does not light.

Not only on start up. Next time you're at a light, push the brake pedal all the way down. Firm ride will engage itself.

Firm ride kicks in under slightly higher than normal braking and high accelleration.

Back