Is there anything out there to stop or slow down oil leaks

x182dan

My 1994 sc leaks and the front main I believe, its not much maybe a drop or two a nite and I don't even need to add a quart of oil between oil changes. Is anything same to use that would stop the leaks?

try using valvoline's Max Life oil. thats what its designed to do. I used to work for Valvoline Instant Oil Change, and seen it work on some cars... sometimes it didnt depends on the leak

I've never found any of those additives any good for engine oil leaks. Just make sure it is the front crank seal and not the timing cover gasket or the oil cooler gasket that's leaking. If it is the front seal I'd just live with the few drops of oil myself; because the cure can be expensive - you'll need to remove the balancer & pulleys to get to the seal and that's usually the "kiss of death" for SC balancers; even if you re-install it with a new bolt (which is mandatory). On my 94 when I change the oil I use an 8"x11" stiff sheet of plastic (off a presentation binder) and slide it up under the filter all the way past the cooler. This way all the oil from removing the filter goes in the pan and not all over the cross member. So you can differentiate real oil leaks from just the mess from dropping the filter.
I changed the front seal on my old 93 because of a similar leak, so I know about the "kiss of death". However the leak turned out to be a bad gasket between the oil filter housing and the cooler section, as well as some loose bolts on the timing cover. That's why it's worth the effort to really nail down the leak. Thoroughly clean off the sump pan with something like brake cleaner next time you change the oil and then monitor the situation.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
Ductape :) Duck Brand :D .. wrap a small cloth alround it, soaked in superglue so it hardens around the leak, thus preventing it... idk

just some thoughts.

-Chad

Back