PDA

View Full Version : Water coming inside!!!

Sampo
02-22-2005, 04:37 AM
I have a serious problem. When itīs raining hard or everytime I wash my car, the water will come inside my SC! That really pissed me off!! :mad: Where it will come?
The water is always in the floor behind the driverīs seat. And thereīs much of it! Help me, I have no idea where it will come from... :confused:

T-bird SC ī90

the-big-e
02-22-2005, 10:23 AM
I have heard that the trunk seal will leak sometimes.....

Get a shop vac and get the water out ASAP.....

Kurt K
02-22-2005, 10:48 AM
I have a serious problem. When itīs raining hard or everytime I wash my car, the water will come inside my SC! That really pissed me off!! :mad: Where it will come?
The water is always in the floor behind the driverīs seat. And thereīs much of it! Help me, I have no idea where it will come from... :confused:

T-bird SC ī90
Does your car have a moonroof? If so, maybe the drain lines are clogged.

J.D.
02-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Damaged door seal or door not closing fully along the top?

Sampo
02-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Does your car have a moonroof? If so, maybe the drain lines are clogged.

Yes, I have a moonroof. What might be the easiest way to check if they are clogged?

Sampo
02-22-2005, 11:25 AM
I have heard that the trunk seal will leak sometimes.....

Get a shop vac and get the water out ASAP.....

I have a poor trunk seal, but will the water go only to other side of the car, in this case to the driverīs side...?

Sampo
02-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Damaged door seal or door not closing fully along the top?

The door seal is like a new one, and there isnīt water anywhere else expect behind the driverīs seat floor.

the-big-e
02-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Water leaks can be very hard to track down.....

If the moon roof is leaking, then go to a drive through car wash and check for leaks as you go through....

I first had water on the front passenger side and when I got that cleaned up, I had water in the drivers rear...... :confused:

I traced it down to the gutter under the front cowling.....It was clogged with old tree leaves and gunk and I believe that the water was backing up under the windshield.......

I have not had any problems since I cleaned this out........

95pearlbird
02-24-2005, 10:42 PM
You didn't mention if this happens when the car is sitting, or after you've been driving it. First guess is the moonroof. but here is another possible cause. Was reading over my Ford service manual the other night, and came across this that reminded me of your problem. Don't know if its related to your problem or not, but thought that I'd share it with you anyway. Another way that water can get inside the car in the location you described. Probably should get the car up on a lift to check this. The grommet that the park brake cable goes thru on its way to the rear. If this is popped out, missing, or deteriorated, this can let quite a bit of water into the interior. Its below the rear seat, next to the console tunnel. You may be able to check it by pulling up the carpet in that area, but probably easier to take a look from underneath the car. It sounds like you've got a high volume of H2O coming in, and this would only be a small hole, but you never know....Just another idea for you......

'95 SC Auto- Pearl, loaded w/full options
K&N Panel..... Exhaust, CAI next-
99K, Stock & Running Strong!

Sampo
02-25-2005, 12:13 PM
You didn't mention if this happens when the car is sitting, or after you've been driving it. First guess is the moonroof. but here is another possible cause. Was reading over my Ford service manual the other night, and came across this that reminded me of your problem. Don't know if its related to your problem or not, but thought that I'd share it with you anyway. Another way that water can get inside the car in the location you described. Probably should get the car up on a lift to check this. The grommet that the park brake cable goes thru on its way to the rear. If this is popped out, missing, or deteriorated, this can let quite a bit of water into the interior. Its below the rear seat, next to the console tunnel. You may be able to check it by pulling up the carpet in that area, but probably easier to take a look from underneath the car. It sounds like you've got a high volume of H2O coming in, and this would only be a small hole, but you never know....Just another idea for you......

'95 SC Auto- Pearl, loaded w/full options
K&N Panel..... Exhaust, CAI next-
99K, Stock & Running Strong!

Thanks for that!! Interesting... I have to check it out! The water is coming inside when the car is parked, usually when Iīm washing the car by myself but also when itīs raining hard. :( But it seems to me that some of those moonroofīs drain tubes are clogged... How Iīm gonna fix it, tell me!?

WeinerK
02-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Just as a side note:

I use to get water in the interior of my car from fresh air inlet on the passenger side of the car, right below the windshield. The water ran through the HVAC vents and exited underneath the seats. This "could" be your problem and it's easily solved with a shield from a 94-up Thunderbird. Just a thought.

Sampo
02-26-2005, 04:35 AM
Just as a side note:

I use to get water in the interior of my car from fresh air inlet on the passenger side of the car, right below the windshield. The water ran through the HVAC vents and exited underneath the seats. This "could" be your problem and it's easily solved with a shield from a 94-up Thunderbird. Just a thought.

But in my case, the water is in the floor behind the drivers seat. And the front of the drivers seat is dry, no any water! Thereīs much of water! Everytime I have to dry it by blowing hot air in there... Where the water is flowing just there? :confused:
Sorry my english... :o

Kurt K
02-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Yes, I have a moonroof. What might be the easiest way to check if they are clogged?
I've never checked my moonroof for clogged drain lines, so I can't say for sure. I'm sure you can use the search function to find some good info.

J.D.
02-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Have you checked for a hole in the floor either caused by rust or a missing rubber plug?
If you want to verify that your moonroof is leaking, seal it by covering it with a nylon sheet and taping it down. Then wash your car and check for leaks. I once had water pour down on me from the moonroof because the guy who replaced my windshield crimped a drain tube at the A-pillar. You could try cleaning the drain tubes by pushing a flexible electrical wire through them. I'm not sure if you will need to remove the moonroof glass to gain access as I've never tried this.
You can also check other areas like the door and windshield cowl by covering them and then washing your car.

WRGoudy
04-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Please let me know what you find as I'm having exactly the same problem suddenly with my 90SC. Get up to 1/2" of water on the floor behind the drivers seat every time it rains and haven't located the source yet. No signs I can find of wetness anywhere else leads me to think it's probably the moonroof letting water run somehow thru the inside of the exterior sheetmetal, tho don't see how.

Thanks,
Bill

ThunderDave
04-30-2005, 04:17 PM
Mine has a leak when it is raining or when washing as well. When accumulates on the front passenger floor mat. I think it must be leaking somewhere under the cowl. How do you get the wipers off to remove the cowl?

Sampo
05-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Mine has a leak when it is raining or when washing as well. When accumulates on the front passenger floor mat. I think it must be leaking somewhere under the cowl. How do you get the wipers off to remove the cowl?

I have also thought that wipers removing...? :confused:

Sampo
05-01-2005, 04:13 AM
Please let me know what you find as I'm having exactly the same problem suddenly with my 90SC. Get up to 1/2" of water on the floor behind the drivers seat every time it rains and haven't located the source yet. No signs I can find of wetness anywhere else leads me to think it's probably the moonroof letting water run somehow thru the inside of the exterior sheetmetal, tho don't see how.

Thanks,
Bill

Yes, I let you know... My car is still sleeping but as far as I begin to use it I will check out the water thing! ;)

Tickler
05-01-2005, 05:40 AM
Could be anything on the top back half, water would probly build up in the quarter panel, its unibody so thiers no drain holes. If that makes any sense, it is miller time after all.

Tyler
1990 SC

J.D.
05-01-2005, 11:07 AM
There's a clip on the shaft immediately below the arm. While lifting up slightly on the wiper arm at the wiper blade end, pull the clip out approx. 1/4 inch. After the clip has been pulled out, the wiper arm can be lowered. The wiper arm is then pulled straight up off the shaft. If it is difficult to pull off the shaft, then twist it slightly back and forth while pulling up on it.

ThunderDave
05-01-2005, 12:22 PM
There's a clip on the shaft immediately below the arm. While lifting up slightly on the wiper arm at the wiper blade end, pull the clip out approx. 1/4 inch. After the clip has been pulled out, the wiper arm can be lowered. The wiper arm is then pulled straight up off the shaft. If it is difficult to pull off the shaft, then twist it slightly back and forth while pulling up on it.

Thanks JD. Mine isn't leaking as bad as Sampo's is, but enough to make me want to fix it. Thanks for the info.

the-big-e
05-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Have fun Dave.......The passenger side wiper can be a back breaker to get to..... :D

Don't loose the little keys that line up the blade on the motor shafts......

While you have them off, give them a shot of black paint.......

Makes them look really good.......

ThunderDave
05-02-2005, 03:05 PM
That's right, you just replaced your cowl, didn't you? How hard was it to get them off?

the-big-e
05-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Not too bad.......

You have to lift the wiper blade from the windshield and pull straight up at the same time.....Very tricky when doing it yourself...... :D

You might have to gently rock the wiper arm from side to side and front to back......

When you get to removing the cowling, don't forget about the washer hoses......

I found it easier to unscrew the spray nozzles from the cowling, rather than just pulling the hoses off......

While you are spraying your wiper arms with a good coat of black enamel, give your faded cowling a good shot of paint as this will really dress things up...... :D

It's not how fast you are, it's how good you look sitting still........

But if you are both, then YAHOOOOOOO!!!!! :D

Sampo
05-24-2005, 03:41 PM
I checked my moon roof leaks. And surprise, NO LEAKS ANYMORE!! :D
Very mysterious I think... No water anywhere inside!

Of course I was happy but the leaks cannot disappear or can they!?! :rolleyes:

When I'll wash it again I have to study that leaking thing one more time...