would u buy.. i need some help

TwoToneThunder

i found a 94 thunderbird with the v8 in it but the motors blown the guy wants 300 bucks for it and its in pretty good shape should i go for it with my limited mechanics ability? need
how much am i looking to get a 4.6 for and how difficult is the swap

titanium89scguy said:
i found a 94 thunderbird with the v8 in it but the motors blown the guy wants 300 bucks for it and its in pretty good shape should i go for it with my limited mechanics ability? need
how much am i looking to get a 4.6 for and how difficult is the swap

depends on mileage, 5 speed? interior? you could always rebuild the 4.6 or find one out of a 95 or newer stang..or an f150.. i would do it. if you have the cash.

crzykyman said:
depends on mileage, 5 speed? interior? you could always rebuild the 4.6 or find one out of a 95 or newer stang..or an f150.. i would do it. if you have the cash.

5 speed transmissions were only offered in 89-95 SC's, LX's only came with AOD's (89-93) or 4R70W's (94-97). Also, Mustangs didn't receive the 4.6L until 96.

If you're just wanting to swap in a stock replacement 4.6L, it's a pretty simple job.

-Rod

The tranny in the 4.6L won't work with anthing but a 4.6L or 5.0L motor.If you are going to replace the motor I would suggest putting the 5.0 motor in if the computer and wiring harness are the same!

Swapping out the 4.6L for a 3.8L SC motor would be alot of work.

The price sounds fair as long as it's in good shape.

I bought my SC for $600 with a bad motor and rebuilt tranny!

Chris

Last edited:
C_More said:
The tranny in the 4.6L won't work with anthing but a 4.6L or 5.0L motor.If you are going to replace the motor I would suggest putting the 5.0 motor in if the computer and wiring harness are the same!

Swapping out the 4.6L for a 3.8L SC motor would be alot of work.

The price sounds fair as long as it's in good shape.

I bought my SC for $600 with a bad motor and rebuilt tranny!

Chris

Wrong. The 4.6/5.4L bellhousing bolt pattern is different from the 3.8/4.2/5.0L bellhousing bolt pattern.

-Rod

its pretty simple

i have a 93 t-bird that had a 3.8 in it my my brother in law had a 4.6 in his and wrecked it i yanked the motor out trust me its not that hard i took the motor out with a small supply of tools and a forklift . im either putting int the 4.6 or a 5.0 ho i have layin around.also i hooked up my aod trans from the 3.8 to the 4.6 so watch the rumors.if u want ill sell u the 4.6 with trans computer harness motor mounts and all for 500 bucks cuz i really wanna put the 5.0 in my car.

Back