PDA

View Full Version : EEC codes 214 and 332

RustyUL
02-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Ok, on the mn12 performance site, code 214 is "Cylinder Identification (CID) circuit failure"...what exactly does this mean?

Also, I find no reference to code 332...can anybody help me out?

Michael Mattix
02-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Before I knew how to search properly on this site, I contacted Ford and found out that it was cam sensor. I replaced it, check engine light went away. But, I didn't have the other code, so take it with a grain of salt.

LJGriggs
02-23-2005, 10:38 AM
From the Ford Factory Service Manual:

KOER DTC 332 indicates that the PFE/DPFE sensor signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) did not change when the PCM output a duty cycle to the EVR solenoid requesting EGR flow.

If an EGR fault exists at the time of this test (hard fault), then an EGR DTC should also be received in KOEO or KOER or both depending on the DTC. If the EGR DTC is NOT received in KOEO or KOER but only retrieved from Continuous Memory, this could be due to an intermittent EGR system fault which occurred sometime in the past.

Joisey Jim
02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
On later models (94-95) code 214 generally means a bad Cam Sensor Stator (just the top part of the cam sensor - usually around $30 to replace) or it could be corrosion/oxydation inside the stator seat. So I'd clean it first and if that doesn't work replace the stator. However, if you've changed your plugs recently 214 can also mean a cracked or broken plug insulator (the white ceramic part) which is easy to do when changing our plugs.
As for 332 I'd see if that stays on (CEL) after you cure the 214. EGR faults are very hard to diagnose; after living with a CEL for "EGR vacuum out of range" myself, I finally swapped out the transducer and that cured it.
Hope that helps.

vivisex666
02-23-2005, 03:08 PM
ditto. . . 214 is for the cam sensor. had to do mine about a year ago.

RustyUL
02-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Ok, Thanks all for the information. My bad on not searching first...I went brain dead for a few minutes.

I changed the cam sensor, that took care of the 214 code. The code 332 still is present. I know carbon can build up in the EGR tube and in the valve itself. I also know the PFE can be the source of this fault also. The EGR valve looks like it's very difficult to get to. Anybody know where I should start with this code? The check engine light comes on very quickly after startup...say 1-3 minutes. Code 332 is the only code remaining.

The car is missing (very minor) at idle, but otherwise idle is relatively smooth. The vacuum gauge shows about 20 at idle. Is this about right? Brand new plugs, so that isn't contributing.

RustyUL
02-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Anybody done this? What has to be removed to get to the EGR valve on a 94-95 5-speed?

discipled1
03-01-2005, 04:50 AM
It's not that difficult, but it does take some time. Start with whipper blades, then cowl cover and whipper motor as a unit with its mounting structure. Be careful of the vacuum lines in the center coming off the 'T' that go to the electronic control valve for the EGR. You may even want to take off the hood to speed things up. The EGR valve is located behind the passenger side of the engine. With the above removed, you should have a idea now what it will take to replace it.

Something I haven't tried but thought of for a leaking EGR would be to use a small plastic hose, take off the intake hose between the air box and the throttle body; prop open the TBP and insert the small plastic hose into the tiny hole back there and spray some carb cleaner down it and into the EGR; and let it soak over night. Perhaps even manually open the EGR using external vacuum and spraying a bunch more carb cleaner down there to wash out the carbon. Could work, or be just a waste of time.