What is the Rear Gear Housing's Oil Capacity???

pablon2

I'm having a complete rebuild of my rear gear housing done and want to know how much gear oil is needed. I bought a quart of Royal Purple 75W140, but it just occurred to me that maybe that isn't enough. How much does it take?

The book says 3.25 pints + 4oz friction modifier. I just had my rear re-built a week or so ago. I gave the guy 3 quarts of lube to be safe. He used about 2 and gave me the extra third one back.

Jon

Yes, you'll need 2 quarts (that'll leave a little over for any future top-off) plus one of those oil pumps to get it in. There isn't enough headroom to gravity feed it from a bottle and tube. Similarly, unless you are taking the back plate off, you'll need a suction pump and narrow tube to suck out the old oil. Our diffs only have a fill plug half way up the casing - no drain plug. And fill it just shy of the bottom of the fill hole.

You don't have to use a pump to fill the diff. It's a pain, but you can do it using the quart bottles of gear lube and a piece of hose. Cut the tip off of the cap of a quart, slip the hose over the nozzle on the cap, stick the other end of the hose into the diff, and squeeze the quart like crazy. Once the quart is about half empty, refill it from another quart, and keep going. If I need to explain this more clearly, let me know and I can give it a shot.

-Rod

Back