Front end rebuild question

dklitzke

:confused:

I am going to need to rebuild my suspension soon, and am wondering what all I'll need to buy parts wise for the fron suspension. I have already bought MN-12 bushings, Koni shocks and new springs. What do I need in the way of ball joinnts and control arms and such???

Don Klitzke
Prospect TN

'95 SC/auto. 147k. Rebuilt trans w/Art Carr stuff, Apten chip, 5% OD pulley, SCP exhaust, Kooks coated headers. Soon to have Ford reman short block topped w/ Steigmeister heads/cam, MP blower upgrade/rebuild, MP intercooler, BBK 75mm TB/MAF, big aluminum radiator, etc, etc.

:D

Last edited:
If you have the MN12 kit then you could just get new ball joints pressed into the old lower control arms, replace the steering tie-rod ends and the upper control arms (they come complete with bushings & ball joint for about $65ea)then you'd be set. Personally I used the MN12 kit except for the main (large) lower control arm bushing - that was quite difficult to press into the LCA . I did it on my '93, but preferred to buy replacement LCA's for my 94; it was much easier because the bushings and ball joint is all included in the replacement LCA. At one time you could only get them from Ford ($150 retail or $80 discount); however people like "rockautoparts" now have them for around $50ea.
For the rear, if your replacing the springs you'll also need new cushions (about $35 set) and I believe MN12 now carries urethane ones a well. Replacing any other rear bushings would very much depend upon condition.
Just remember when you torque-up the 'shock to LCA bolt' on the front and any loosened LCA bushings on the rear, you need to have the suspension at normal road height (either on ramps or jack up the LCA's); otherwise you get bushing 'wind-up' which can cause the front or rear to settle to different heights & a lot of groaning.

Get a set of NEW LIFETIME WARRANTY upper control arms for the front from Autozone.

Also, get a set of those rubber mount things that go on top of the front spring

HUH :confused: , also get a front clip and a new crossmember and engine, ummm you just replace stuff thats worn out, not everything you touch? :rolleyes:

If you're only looking to do it once, then here's the list...I know because I'm doing it...

Front:
MN12 poly bushing kit
Lower shock mounts (rubber bushing/mounts are only available, unless MN12 now has something)
Lower ball joint
upper control arms (You'll have to replace the rubber bushigns with the poly if you want poly up there.)
Hub and bearing assemblies
Check your rack and pinion...if bad, or going that way, replace it as a whole, otherwise, replace the inner and outer tie rod ends.
I haven't pulled the springs, so if there are spring isolators, change them.
I'd also look at doing engine mounts while you're under there, if you haven't already done them.
Sway Bar end links

Rear:
MN12 rear bushing kit
At a minimum, the upper inner control arm bushing (control arm to sub-frame) That is very likely worn.
At best, the remaining control arm and toe compesator bushings.
Check the hub and bearing assemlies and replace as needed. (on rear only, front will more than likely need it)
Sway bar bushings...If lowering springs, replace end links with shorter ones.

I'd also look at replacing the rear sway bar bushings.

That is a pretty complete list of what you can replace without getting into the subframe isolators and drivetrain bushings/mounts. I may have forgotten something, but I think I got it all. You may also look into sub'ing rubber strut rod bushings instead of the poly ones from the MN12 kit. I have seen what results from the bushings under harder condition (road racing type of duty) so if you plan on doing any of that, I'd get the rubber ones.

Hey there 007...where do you get said shorter sway bar end links? I have done a search and was not able to find them.

Chris

I know that supercoupe performance has them. I'm not sure of any other place myself that you can get them. I don't think that Bill has them listed seperately on his site, but if you call him, he will be able to get them for you.

You can get shorter urethane rear sway bar links from PepBoys as well as urethane front bar bushings. If you want the bigger link bolt diameter (recommended for the straight type aftermarket links) then you just have to drill out the bolt holes at the end of the bar. I'm still looking for shorter links for the front - nobody seems to make them & Addco never reply to my enquiries.

My problem is with the front end. I am going to cut and weld the back ones to lower them but the front is kinda tougher. I was thinking about sleeving it but I would rather not try to keep it stright and find the right size sleeve. I think that is my only option though. I tried to locate some of those joints they are using on the tubular k-members (the word slips my mind now) and I could not find any that were small engouh to make it work.

Chris

Back