Uh oh....here we go again!

X

xThunderbirdSCx

Heres the #1 most asked about subject on this forum. Yep you guessed it. Head Gaskets!
Now im not asking about price or anything, im talking labor. If me (moderatly mechanically inclined) and my uncle (who's worked on engines his whole life) want to swap them out, is it difficult. We have the Haynes manual. I was wondering if the HG replacement is so expensive because of TEDIOUS work (not hard labor, just takes alot of time due to many steps) or is it difficult (experienced and challenging process) to replace them? Also, if i do choose to do them myself, what else should i consider replacing while im down there anyways? Thanks alot guys

I have some experience rebuilding motorcycle engines, but none rebuilding car engines. Once you get the SC/Intake system off and the accesory brackets off, it is a cake walk. If I can do it, then almost anybody can. :D The car runs good now so I must not have screwed it up. Not sure how accurate the Haynes manual is on torque specs, but that is what I used. Don't go cheap and not have your heads checked for cracks. Do have them surfaced! For a little extra they can regrind your valves too. Usually a price for all of it.
Just take your time and don't be afraid to ask questions and you should be able to do it alone, let alone with your uncle.. Good Luck..

Also be sure to install new head bolts or upgrade to a set of reusable ARP head studs. It also very easy to change the motor mounts when all the stuff is off the motor.

If they are originals, they probably need to be replaced.

David

Not that hard

Changing head gaskets is not hard at all really.
Here's some tips;

Mark all of your vacuum hoses prior to tearing the engine apart.
One neat idea is to take a few pictures of the engine just in case you miss something you can get a look on how it was before dissassembly.
You can take the supercharger, TB, and both plenums off in one piece.
Once these are off it doesn't look so scary.
If the EGR tube is frozen, remove the valve off of the rear of the plenum and leave the tube connected.
As for the bolts, I used a plastic 60 drawer organizer and placed the bolts in labeled drawers. This helped out great when trying to find out which bolts went where (after a month with the car torn apart).
Have the heads checked for flatness and have BOTH shaved the same amount.
This will keep the cumbustion chambers on both banks as consistent as possible.
Have the heads pressure tested for cracks or valve leaks.
Have the ports on the intake checked for flatness as well.
If the heads have material removed the intake MAY need to be machined as well to realign the ports.
Most engine rebuilders and machine shops will understand the effects of machining heads in relationship to the intake ports.
Use Fel-Pro gaskets and new head bolts or ARP studs if you have the extra $$$.
Clean the top of the block and head surfaces with mineral spirits to allow the gaskets to seal well.
Most importantly - take your time.
If you rush the job you will miss something (I learned from experience).
Let us know how it goes.
Good luck!
Bill

I did my headgaskets in the parking lot of my apartment complex with hand tools and a Haynes manual. I have never done anything to a car besides a basic tune up. Car runs excellent. Once you get the SC assembly off, its easy.

blue94sc said:
If the heads have material removed the intake MAY need to be machined as well to realign the ports.
Question,,,
How would you know if they do not line up well. There's no way of checking visually. Is it a numbers game? So much off the heads is going to throw off the ports? If so, how much is allowable to take off the heads before running into trouble?

I would change all the heater hoses while you are at it cause you can't them when everything is together

scerew organization. when i do work i just throw everything in a box, and end up with parts left over at the end. I always manage to plug the hoses back in somewhere. I just move everything around until all the idiot lights turn off. Organization = overrated!! :p

Back