Sticky 5 spd trans

hammondo

My '90 5 spd shifts like crap - sometimes I can't even get it into gear without a couple of tries at it. Rapid gear changes are out of the question. I've tried auto trans fluid and Redline gear oil, but it's still sticky, particularly when it's warm. Does anyone know what's the deal and how I fix it?

Blocker Rings

My 94 is the same.
The M5R2 trans inthe SC's are notorious for a sticky 2nd and 3rd gear.
It's the fiber blocker rings that help the synchronizer slow the gear cluster down for quick shifting.
They wear and then it gets sticky.
The only way to really fix it is to replace the fiber blockers.
I have heard that brass blockers are available but they tend to make the gears grind on fast shifts.
You may be able to have someone local that you trust rebuild the trans with new blocker rings.
Good luck!
Bill

I had the same thing in my t5 01 transmission in my stang... it was a pain in the ars. especially after i beat the dog crap out of it.. the only way to fix it is to replace or upgrade.. sorry..

crzykyman said:
I had the same thing in my t5 01 transmission in my stang... it was a pain in the ars. especially after i beat the dog crap out of it.. the only way to fix it is to replace or upgrade.. sorry..

He's right-- went through two used tranny's before i did it the right way. My rebuilt shifts like butter now!!

PS- not to be cynical, but an 01 Stang is a T45 not a T5.

Mine was also shifting very poorly because of the clutch not disengaging completely, due to a leaking slave cylinder. Shifts much better now that I've replaced the cylinder and the clutch, but second will "notch" once in a while even still, but it's 100% better than it was.

I've never been able to quickly shift my SC. It doesn't seem to like being slammed from any gear into another. I think it's the nature of the beast.

Back