PDA

View Full Version : Heater core and moonroof questions

joes90sc
02-27-2005, 04:40 PM
How difficult is it change the heater core and were are the moonroof drain lines located? How do I clean the lines?

Thanks

Flip
02-27-2005, 05:36 PM
The heater core is located within a large black plastic case along with the A/C evaporator behind the dash. You can do a search for the details, but is intensive and includes removing the dash. Should go ahead and replace both if you have to go into that area.
I have two SC's to do within the next month or so…

Moonroof drains: front go down the front roof supports and the rears I believe run down the rear supports. I would think you could use some compressed air at a lower pressure to clear the lines maybe about 20 to 30 lbs. The drain holes are at all four corners of the Moonroof. See what other responses you get.
Good luck..

unclenick
02-27-2005, 05:55 PM
The heater core is located within a large black plastic case along with the A/C evaporator behind the dash. You can do a search for the details, but is intensive and includes removing the dash. Should go ahead and replace both if you have to go into that area.

Moonroof drains: front go down the front roof supports and the rears I believe run down the rear supports. I would think you could use some compressed air at a lower pressure to clear the lines maybe about 20 to 30 lbs. The drain holes are at all four corners of the Moonroof. See what other responses you get.
Good luck..

Ok, let's start with the heater core as I have done both of thses items within the last two months:

The ENTIRE dash has to come out of the bird to get the heater core/ac evaporator core box out. As Flip stated, it is wise to do both evap core and heater core while in there. I must tell you mark all vac lines and when re-installing dash, be carefull not to pinch any plastic vac lines espically around drivers side of dash.

As for the sunroof drain tubes, the headliner must come down to get to them. The sunroof chanels will have 4 plastic tubes, one attached in each corner. It is there they usually clog up with leaves, dirt, ect. Use compressed air, but place a towel done over rear seat as crud will go everywhere. If this does not work, use a coat hanger and "fish" out the lines. This may take a couple of tries but you should be able to clean them out.

unclenick
02-27-2005, 05:55 PM

Good luck..

Ok, let's start with the heater core as I have done both of thses items within the last two months:

The ENTIRE dash has to come out of the bird to get the heater core/ac evaporator core box out. As Flip stated, it is wise to do both evap core and heater core while in there. I must tell you mark all vac lines and when re-installing dash, be carefull not to pinch any plastic vac lines espically around drivers side of dash.

As for the sunroof drain tubes, the headliner must come down to get to them. The sunroof chanels will have 4 plastic tubes, one attached in each corner. It is there they usually clog up with leaves, dirt, ect. Use compressed air, but place a towel done over rear seat as crud will go everywhere. If this does not work, use a coat hanger and "fish" out the lines. This may take a couple of tries but you should be able to clean them out.