Fuel Filter removal

pablon2

I'm in the process of removing the fuel filter on my '93 SC and it, like most things on this car, is proving to be more work than any other car I've worked on. In an effort to avoid posting here I searched the forum looking for assistance with this. But, only read posts indicating the need for a special tool, and not much about the use of the tool. I bought two different tools, both with a 3/8" and a 1/2" fitting. I cannot get either one to work. I understand the concept of how the tool is to work, but cannot orchestrate the tool and the locking clips. I had the most luck with the 3/8" one as it actually fit into the coupling, but it did not seem to separate the locking clips far enough. Is there some trick to this or am I still using the wrong tool? The packaging said for use on 1990+ Ford fuel lines and components. So far, two days and 50+ miles of driving = one PITA for this "quick" project I decided to do while the car was already on stands. :mad: Perhaps it is my lack of research or maybe the curse of the Scarlet SC?? It's a love/hate thing.

Thanks.

The locking clips may be bent. Did you try using a screwdriver before you bought the tool?
I had no luck with the metal tool as it was too long to fit between the filter and the fuel line fitting. The plastic set is shorter.

Tool

I bought a metal hinged tool and I had to take it apart and insert both halves individually to get it in. It worked fine then. Sometimes, you can get a cheap Spring-Lok tool to do the job as well.

Use a flathead and break them out, the new filter comes with new clips. Watch out for gas spraying in your face when you pull the old filter out, its still under presure unless you release it through that valve on the fuel rail, but im to lazy, I just let gas spray everywhere.

SCaddict and 35TH5SPEED, the coupling that's being discussed is the metal ring shaped one with 4 tabs and not the white plastic U-shaped one with two tabs. The older models have the external plastic clips while the newer models may have an internal metal clip on at least one end of the filter.

Early model birds you only had to pull out the clips and then just pull apart the line from the filter. Later model you had to use a proper size spring lock tool, inserting it around the fuel line and in towards the filter. Then pressing the lock tool hard into the filter simultaneouly pulling out on the fuel line. They should separate. I don't remember what year the type of connection changed. Good luck, John

Sounds like I have been doing the right things, just maybe not enough elbow grease. Will try again tomorrow and put more force behind it. Gotta get this done so I can test the line pressure and look for leaks with my new injectors, fuel press reg, Schraeder valve/fuel press gauge swap etc.

AnnivSpeCpe said:
Then pressing the lock tool hard into the filter simultaneouly pulling out on the fuel line. They should separate. I don't remember what year the type of connection changed. Good luck, John

I always found that Ford scissor type tool to work really well. But as others have said, if the prongs on the retaining clip are bent, you can either use a very small flat head screwdriver and work your way around or just make a small split tube yourself out of a piece of soft scrap metal (so it looks like a giant roll pin). If you totally screw-up that spring clip don't dispare, because the Fram replacement filter # G-7596 comes with a plastic substitute. You just have to be carefull putting the big external locking clamp back on as the Fram clip protrudes a bit.

It's Off!

Finally, I got the filter off and the new one installed! My experience has taught me this: :rolleyes: The tool to use for my 1993 SC is a scissor type with a 3/8" fitting on it. BUT, and here is the key, there are two scissor type tools made for 1990+ Fords with a 3/8" end on it. The OD is wider on one of them and won't fit into the engine-side fuel line connection. The one that worked has a shoulder height that is about 2x the other (or 1/2" total) and of course a smaller OD. So, if someone says to you to just use the scissor type Ford tool for 3/8" line make sure you get the narrower OD one with the longer shoulder.

Thanks for you input....

Back