Any One Know About 351w H-Beams?

no164ford

I got a set of 351w Eagle H-Beam 3d rods for my SC. I was woundering if any one knowes about the bearing needed to make this rod fit a SC crank? Also any sugestions on who makes a good affordable set of custom forged pistons To fit the 351w rods, I am thinking I will go with diamond pistons.

the 351 rods fit right in and you can use the 351 bearings. You will need to chamfer the edges of the bearings in order for it to clear the stock crank. I dont have 351 rods, but i looked into it. Try doing a search and see what you can come up with. The rods are a little longer than the stockers and thats why you need new pistons. I know Ross makes pistons. Plan on spending about $450 for pistons and pins. I know there are plenty of guys on here that have done what you are doing so one of them will chime in.

Eagle has just released H beam rods for our motors. no more custom pistons needed. but the 351 rods and bearings are wider. Which makes them better for high hp applications since there is more surface touching the crank.

Kevin would you know the weight differents between the
351 W eagle rods.And the new eagle rods for the 3.8 sc
motor.

If you were buying rods to make lighter.Do you think the
Eagle 351W rods would be best to use.Or the new SC Eagle rods.

Thanks Randy

Last edited:
fastsc92 said:
the 351 rods fit right in and you can use the 351 bearings. You will need to chamfer the edges of the bearings in order for it to clear the stock crank. I dont have 351 rods, but i looked into it. Try doing a search and see what you can come up with. The rods are a little longer than the stockers and thats why you need new pistons. I know Ross makes pistons. Plan on spending about $450 for pistons and pins. I know there are plenty of guys on here that have done what you are doing so one of them will chime in.
Thanks for the help, What do you mean by chamfer the edges. I am sorry for all the Questions I have built a few motors before But I never had to use parts from completely diffrent motors before, BUT this makes it more fun, I think! Thanks Paul

Last edited:
Kevin Leitem said:
Eagle has just released H beam rods for our motors. no more custom pistons needed. but the 351 rods and bearings are wider. Which makes them better for high hp applications since there is more surface touching the crank.
Since they are wider will I have to do any crank work or any thing like that. I see you are from Butler PA I live in Northern Cambria PA about 50 miles south of you. Thanks Paul

It still eb cheaper to buy 8 H beam 351 rods and Im not even sure if anyoen makes good repalecemnt pistons for our cars...

Diamond makes an excellant piston for SC motor with 351 rods

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
It still eb cheaper to buy 8 H beam 351 rods and Im not even sure if anyoen makes good repalecemnt pistons for our cars...

Diamond makes an excellant piston for SC motor with 351 rods
Any idea how much? I don't want to call them till I have enough money saved up to but them.

Im running carillo rods for the 351 in mine and wisco pistons.

you need to chamfer the edges the stock crank has a chamfered edge and the 351 bearings will hit it easy to do this is where a little plasti gage come in handy.

my engine was hand fitted every rod bearing was chamfered and checked three four times we did some reworking of the small hole "piston side of rod"

mine were not pre machined at small side just at journal side.

wiseco pistons were a gift from a friend who works there.

Randy N Connie said:
Kevin would you know the weight differents between the
351 W eagle rods.And the new eagle rods for the 3.8 sc
motor.

If you were buying rods to make lighter.Do you think the
Eagle 351W rods would be best to use.Or the new SC Eagle rods.

Thanks Randy
Randy, unless you are trying to pull 8,000 rpms the weight difference would be would not matter. the extra bearing surface of the 351w rod would be worth it. I don't know for sure if the new rods are wider like the 351w. But according to eagle they say the sc rods are stock dimentions. With our smaller piston sizes a heavy rod would not have any ill effects, so running a light rod would not yeild any benifits. Kevin

mannysc said:
Im running carillo rods for the 351 in mine and wisco pistons.

you need to chamfer the edges the stock crank has a chamfered edge and the 351 bearings will hit it easy to do this is where a little plasti gage come in handy.

my engine was hand fitted every rod bearing was chamfered and checked three four times we did some reworking of the small hole "piston side of rod"

mine were not pre machined at small side just at journal side.

wiseco pistons were a gift from a friend who works there.
What size or year of 351 bearings should I use, I called the local performance shop today, that was hopeless all the guy could tell me was that "a 351w rod is not the right rod for a 3.8l" I was thinking NO $H!T but I did not say anything, only thing he can do is order a set for a certan year/model.

no164ford said:
Since they are wider will I have to do any crank work or any thing like that. I see you are from Butler PA I live in Northern Cambria PA about 50 miles south of you. Thanks Paul[/QUOTE

Hi paul, no you should not need any crank work. Just take the bearings to a machine shop and they could chamfer your bearings. all they should need is both sides of the bearing to be equally chamfered. the 351 bearings are chamfered on one side. kevin

no164ford said:
What size or year of 351 bearings should I use, I called the local performance shop today, that was hopeless all the guy could tell me was that "a 351w rod is not the right rod for a 3.8l" I was thinking NO $H!T but I did not say anything, only thing he can do is order a set for a certan year/model.

speed pro part # 87155ch is the race bearing. #87155cp should be a stock type bearing.

Unless it's a misprint, the rods Eagle is advertising on their website (www.eaglerod.com) are .180" longer than stock and will require custom pistons. 351W rods at least give the option of using stock pistons and cutting the tops down .040" to make up for the 351W rods extra .044" length. Cutting that much (.180") off the top of a stock piston will result in a shattered ringland.

Stock SC rods are 5.912" not 6.090".

Last edited:
Kevin Leitem said:
no164ford said:
Since they are wider will I have to do any crank work or any thing like that. I see you are from Butler PA I live in Northern Cambria PA about 50 miles south of you. Thanks Paul[/QUOTE

Hi paul, no you should not need any crank work. Just take the bearings to a machine shop and they could chamfer your bearings. all they should need is both sides of the bearing to be equally chamfered. the 351 bearings are chamfered on one side. kevin
Thanks Kevin, you are from around my area were is a good place to get machine work done, the one guy I use to get got busted by the IRS or something and I think he is in jail, and the outher guy I use I really don't care for they don't like to do all you ask, only what they feel like.

BlackbirdSC said:
Unless it's a misprint, the rods Eagle is advertising on their website (www.eaglerod.com) are .180" longer than stock and will require custom pistons. 351W rods at least give the option of using stock pistons and cutting the tops down .040" to make up for the 351W rods extra .044" length. Cutting that much off the top of a stock piston will result in a shattered ringland.

where did you see the length listed?

no164ford said:
Kevin Leitem said:
Thanks Kevin, you are from around my area were is a good place to get machine work done, the one guy I use to get got busted by the IRS or something and I think he is in jail, and the outher guy I use I really don't care for they don't like to do all you ask, only what they feel like.
Domhoff automotive machine in harmony pa

BlackbirdSC said:
Unless it's a misprint, the rods Eagle is advertising on their website (www.eaglerod.com) are .180" longer than stock and will require custom pistons. 351W rods at least give the option of using stock pistons and cutting the tops down .040" to make up for the 351W rods extra .044" length. Cutting that much (.180") off the top of a stock piston will result in a shattered ringland.

I found it, hopefully that is a misprint, since that is even longer than a windsor rod

Back