incrediably wierd problem -

Billabong089

ok this just started today... very very very wierd....

I went to start my car, it reved up to 2k then went down to 900rpm then all of a sudden the check engine light flashed three times and it jumped to 2000 rpm and held it... wouldnt stop until i turned off and kept turning the ignition on and off ....eventually like the third time it didnt do it.

also I started letting the clutch out to see if I could make it stall but the engine kept compensating for it and increasing and holding at 2000rpm.............

Well i'm pretty puzzled...

If you turn your key on without starting the engine and you hear some clicking and the fan starts on low then goes to high then shuts down, your computer is going into self test. I had this happen to a 94. It was the wiring harness just under the passager motor mount. For some reason the wires were touching something and sent it into self test. The other reason would be your computer just took a dump. It just sounds like is flashing codes. Let us know.

relearn

try unpluging battery it will wipe the stored code and put the eec back into learn mode .. may reset code ..but should help it fight for the correct idle ..then find code if it trips again ..if IAC is bad or just maybe a leak ....dave

still doing it... it lasts about 2minutes then it stops and returns to normal.. its obviously in a test mode or something.

check the test connector under the hood. Make sure there is nothing stuck in there. Dose it do what I said with just the key on?

nope and the connector seems good... it only does it on the initial startup when its cold and hasnt been ran... I hate this damn CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you disconnected the battery to erase the computer memory, then it will need to relearn idle. It will run rough for a couple days. Actually the last time I disconnected my batt. it took three days for it to settle the idle down and not stall on cold start ups.

So, if it stopped doing all that other funky stuff (flashing codes, etc) and is just running rough or stalling on start ups, then it is just the computer relearning idle, give it a couple days

Metalman

Back