building a 351 looking for some info

rob_731

i bought a 92 truck engine and want to refesh it but the thing is i dont want to put it in completely stock , i got about 1000 cnd to spend any low budget ideas? its gonna be carb,and i was gonna use a stock dome 4 bbl good or bad idea?

Good luck for a grand. You are gonna spend about $500 minimum on good machine work. That does not include new pistons, rings,cam & lifters, bearings, and a good gasket set. I say that assuming you want a mild performance engine out of it. If I were you I would kick up the funds a bit. You can get gt40 heads CHEAP now but that will put you way over 1000. I have a 351. .030 over, probe pistons, eagle h-beam rods, balanced to 80%, edelbrock intake. roller rockers, MSD ignition, and gt-50 heads. This set up cost about 3 grand. The bottom end with the DSS support system will easily support over 500 hp. You can find good deals on some stuff on e-bay or corral. Hope this helps.

Chris

You really can't do anything worthwhile for a grand. You'll be lucky to get a stock rebuild done for that.

I have a built 351 for sale, but I'm asking a lot more than a grand for it. 3K for just the rotating assembly, 7k for the complete motor.

I also have all the parts you need to do a 351 swap into a MN12 if you're interested.

http://www.gtamc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2645

Last edited:
1000 extra? any help on that?

i wasnt including the price of a rebuild , i know im lookin at some money there BUT was wondering what i could do just to get a few more poneys with about 1000 and keeping in mind this will be extra stuff . and im not lookin at doing 11 sec,but i will tell you what i aready have if it will help its a 92 thunderbird i have a 3500 hole shot tourqe b@m shift improver 3.73 gears and i have heads fr a 88 5.0 HO

Scrap those heads. Go with at least gt40 irons. Get a mild cam and go to brothers performance and pick up some 1.7s that bolt down. This will save you a few dollars for an intake.

Chris

So that $1000 is to spend on a completely rebuilt 351 that you want to put in a 92 thunderbird? First thing you better do is figure out what you are going to do for headers. What are you planning to use? That's gonna eat up a decent chunk of change right there...

John

minimum is aftermarket heads(used), an intake and atleast a 650cfm carb and headers and maybe toss in a cam if you feel lucky :D (92 truck blocks are non roller) anything stamped F4 and later use same style cam as 5.0 Mustang(billet roller). With the "smallest" parts bolted on you should hit close to 300hp at the crank. I would remove the pan and check maybe the front and rear rod bearings, if you can see quite a bit of copper showing you'll spit a bearing soon :D

BTW, all Mustang H.Os used the truck heads with smaller head bolt holes, 7/16" instead of half inch, so no point in swapping heads to a Mustangs :D

I have a 1973 351CJ that I am selling. All the machine work is done. Bored .30 over, hardened valve seats for unleaded, 4 bolt mains, 4 barrel heads(low compression, perfect for power adder). All I have is the heads, block, and crank left. I parted out the rest. 800.00 dollars plus shipping.

P.S. This engine is the same as a Cleveland, Ford called them CJ's in 73 for some reason. :confused:

Last edited:
Rob, You asked me about the heads for your bird. Dode is selling a set on the TCCoA site. I told him to post an add over here. Hopefully you guys will get together and get something worked out.

Chris

Back