Header Wrap on LOWER IC TUBE

darkstar_one

hey hey,

i want to get some header wrap for the lower IC tube.... now here is the question... when i install the header wrap do i just put it on normally like i would on a header or... do i flip it upside down... u know so it will reflect the heat... or it doesnt matteR?

you can get a wrap that is made for that purpose.

try this. . . <a href="http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/14002/14002.html">Thermo-tec</a>

why?

Why would you want to trap the heat in the IC tube, the colder the air the better correct? so wouldn't allowing more heat to radiate out through the tubes be better?

91supacoop said:
Why would you want to trap the heat in the IC tube, the colder the air the better correct? so wouldn't allowing more heat to radiate out through the tubes be better?

That assumes that the lower IC tube is still hotter than it's surroundings. If it isn't then the tube would be picking up heat, like from the exhaust manifold it runs close to.

Regardless, I haven't seen definitive info one way or the other. Of course I haven't looked either... :)

Parker Dean said:
That assumes that the lower IC tube is still hotter than it's surroundings. If it isn't then the tube would be picking up heat, like from the exhaust manifold it runs close to.

Regardless, I haven't seen definitive info one way or the other. Of course I haven't looked either... :)
It only runs past the manifold for a few inches. Down at the bottom, and at the top it's exposed to colder air. Maybe wrapping the tube only near the exaust manifold would be beneficial?

yea it does, make sure you wet the roll before you apply it and wrap it tight, I overlapped it quite a bit, just leave at least an 1" from the fittings so you can remove/install them :rolleyes:

If post IC air charge temp is greater then underhood temp then yes it would be a bad idea. However being it sso close to teh exhaust manifold I feel wrapping is a good idea.

You could always get a

Magnum Powers front mount intercooler, you know just to save yourself the agrivation of having to worry about wrapping a poorly routed lower intercooler tube. ;)

-Matt

mattyblazer said:
Magnum Powers front mount intercooler, you know just to save yourself the agrivation of having to worry about wrapping a poorly routed lower intercooler tube. ;)

-Matt

yeah the magnum powers is too expensive.... way too expensive... im working on my own setup.... and its gonna cost around 1000 dollars less than the magnum powers setup...

Magnum Powers front mount intercooler, you know just to save yourself the agrivation of having to worry about wrapping a poorly routed lower intercooler tube.

How about the tube that runs right back along infront of the motor that can pick up hear from the rad and IC. and it still runs over top of the exhaust. :rolleyes:

Only problem I see with the Magnum setup or any front mount for that matter is lack of airflow over the radiator. Or lack of airflow to the IC for that matter....Or lack of flow to your AC condensor....

Will make more power though!

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Only problem I see with the Magnum setup or any front mount for that matter is lack of airflow over the radiator. Or lack of airflow to the IC for that matter....Or lack of flow to your AC condensor....

Will make more power though!

I'm compensating for the lack of flow with a high volume push fan, the design has flaws but the gains seem to out weigh it.
-Matt

To answer the original question, it depends on what type of wrap that you use. If is has a reflective surface, you want that to the outside, reflecting the heat from the exhaust manifolds. That is where you get a massive amount of radiant heat.

Now on to the performance question...does it make it better? The answer is no and yes. I have header wrap on my lower IC tube as well as it being ceramic coated inside and out. I did not see any significant peak hp gain from that. However, what I did see was a much greater time until the lower IC tube gets heat soaked, thus adding heat to the intake charge. That adds useable power over a duration.

I did some hone work on mine, the coating and wrap total ran me about $100 for the lower tube. Well worth it, if you don't have enough for other set-ups.

Again, cold engine vs cold engine, there was no peak power gain, however, after running for 20-30 minutes, there is significant power gain due to it taking longer for the parts to get heat soaked. Definately put header wrap on there at least.

Back