PDA

View Full Version : Engine & Tranny Diagnostics

xThunderbirdSCx
02-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Alright guys, here another noob one. :rolleyes:

My car seems to take a good 3-4 seconds of ignition time to start her up cold(as in in the morning new, not temperature wise). Is this normal or what, cause my old buick only took 1 second. I thought it might be because the air has over double the distance to travel before getting to the engine. :confused: The Spark plugs and wires were just replaced. What do you think?

Also, my shifter takes a little effort to move into gear, not bad, and when im moving, i can pull the shifter out of gears 3 and up without using the clutch
is this a bad thing or normal? Also, how durable are the stock clutches on these babies, cause ive got 83k on her shes an 89 and it sticks pretty well, how long do you think i have before a replacement with normal driving with the occasional ricer race :D .
So lend me some thoughts.

Also, if im going to replace my upper control arms within the next week, should i go ahead and replace the lower ones also or do they wear separatly from the uppers? How can you tell if they need replaced. Thanks alot everyone for all your help!!!!!! I appreciate it! :o

metalman
02-28-2005, 07:26 PM
I don't know anything about the clutch 'cuase I have an auto :)
But, as far as the upper control arms. You would usually feel play in the front suspension or hear a small knock if it were bad. Also, visually inspect the upper ball joints. When they are worn the boots are usually ripped, grease has spewed out, and the ball joint is exposed. Same with the lower ball joint, inspect the boots.

I've replaced 2 pair of upper control arms. The ball joint comes pre-pressed in the control arm with new bushings and a new ball joint bolt.

I'd say you're cool just replacing the uppers if that's all you need now and the lowers when you need to replace them later. There's much more work to get to the lower ball joints. The uppers are just 3 bolts.

Metalman

xThunderbirdSCx
02-28-2005, 09:46 PM
cool thanks, but what about the other problems? :confused: :confused: