lowering questions

Thunder8289

I am about to rebuid my engine and I figured I misght as well lower the car while I'm at it.
I have priced out lowering spring at 239 canadian.
I also have priced out the new shocks.
Do I have to get lowered shocks to match the lowering springs?
Also...anyone know where to get a good price on the shocks?
Car has 335,000 km and I will rebuid the supercharger if I can find where to get the kit.
tHANKS

Depends upon what you think is wrong with your supercharger as to how much R&R it needs. From a simple seal replacement & nose job to a complete re-build. Take a look at the SCP web site as there are lots of options, re-builds, upgrades, etc.
As for lowering, the shocks remain the same but there are a variety of spring sets available (take a look at the articles on the TCCOA web site for more info). Generally people seem to prefer the Eibach progressive rate springs and either the stock Tokico Illumina shocks or convert over to Koni's (deleting the auto ride control). When you lower an '89-93 you can have problems when it gets towed on a 'flat bed', as the bumpers will scrape on the tarmac. Even with lowering 1" versus the popular 1.5" my '93 still drags on the tarmac (I just carry a big old blanket in the trunck to help save the paintwork). Luckily I haven't been towed more than twice (once when the DIS went back and the second time when one of the rear wheel bearings failed). Anyway you will also need new spring cushions for the rear springs when you change them, otherwise the front & rear won't be level; plus shorter sway bar links for the rear. If you are not going with a new Addco sway bar then you can buy replacement straight type links at PepBoys.

If you are considering ever installing the bigger anti-sway bars, while the motor out is the best time. Makes a PIA job an easy one.

Back