Help! Engine is Vibrating!!

brianp-cali

The car is a '95 SC with a 5spd. 84K Miles and mostly everything is original. This started to happen the other day... the Engine is vibrating between 1300 and 1700 RPM. This is in no way an ignition problem. The car is as strong as ever, and the idles smoothly @650RPM just like it should, so I have ruled that out. The vibration I'm experiencing is more like a soft buzz, like something is bent, but it does it at a stop, car in neutral, clutch depressed. My first guess was the harmonic balancer, but I've seen one break, (on a 1990 SC) and the thing was completely separated and clanging around before we noticed. Are my symptoms consistent with the early signs of a broken HB? I'm really worried about main/rod bearing damage here.... any input would be greatly appreciated.
Brian

brianp-cali said:
The car is a '95 SC with a 5spd. 84K Miles and mostly everything is original. This started to happen the other day... the Engine is vibrating between 1300 and 1700 RPM. This is in no way an ignition problem. The car is as strong as ever, and the idles smoothly @650RPM just like it should, so I have ruled that out. The vibration I'm experiencing is more like a soft buzz, like something is bent, but it does it at a stop, car in neutral, clutch depressed. My first guess was the harmonic balancer, but I've seen one break, (on a 1990 SC) and the thing was completely separated and clanging around before we noticed. Are my symptoms consistent with the early signs of a broken HB? I'm really worried about main/rod bearing damage here.... any input would be greatly appreciated.
Brian

Brian,
Your motor mounts are shot. A vibration in the RPM range you stated is comon for bad mounts. Replace them with solid mounts from Napa, $60.00 for the pair. I doubt the HB is bad, but if it makes you feel at ease, check the bolt for the hub.

Back