Power Steering Question Help.!

FastBird91

A couple days ago i replaced my power steering pump because i was not getting any assist from it. My new pump works great but it leaks, and the variable assist seems to not be working. Whether i have it on firm or not it seems to be the same. It does not firm up when i put it in firm mode or when i am at high speeds. It appears to be leaking right where the high pressure hose hooks up on the pump. I have just read some threads and see that i should of put some new teflon tape on the threads and even replaced the o-rings on the valve. I am going to do so very soon but my question is, can this be the cause of the firmness to not be stiffining up like it should? I know where the valve goes into the pump i put the spring in the pump first then the valve then screwed on the high pressure hose. Is this correct?
Thanks again

FastBird91 said:
A couple days ago i replaced my power steering pump because i was not getting any assist from it. My new pump works great but it leaks, and the variable assist seems to not be working. Whether i have it on firm or not it seems to be the same. It does not firm up when i put it in firm mode or when i am at high speeds. It appears to be leaking right where the high pressure hose hooks up on the pump. I have just read some threads and see that i should of put some new teflon tape on the threads and even replaced the o-rings on the valve. I am going to do so very soon but my question is, can this be the cause of the firmness to not be stiffining up like it should? I know where the valve goes into the pump i put the spring in the pump first then the valve then screwed on the high pressure hose. Is this correct?
Thanks again

I'm not quite sure what you mean by putting it in firm. The firm/auto settings have to do with the suspension and how stiff that is. The variable assist steering is fully automatic all the time. This means at low speeds it halps alot, so that in a parking lot, when you are trying to manuver it is effortless to spin the wheel from one stop to the other. Then at highway driving speeds it helps a little less so that you have better road feel. I think perhaps it would be an interesting experiment to disconnect the variable assist and see if it really isn't lowering assistnace at high speeds, i think you may find out that it is helping and you just don't realize it. I do not have my chiltons manual in front of me, but recalling from memory, you installed the spring/valve assemblycorrectly, can any one verify?

Thanks Supacoup, I think i knew that but didnt explain it correctly. I dont think at for example 20 mph i would set the ride to firm and expect the steering to stiffin up. I guess that is my error. But back to my question even at high speeds i dont feel the steering stiffining up. Now i cant crank the wheel obviously at high speeds but i do remember noticing a difference before. Then again my pump was on its way out.
Thanks

ps

my power steering pump leaks in the SAME place, ive taken it out and wrapped the threads with teflon tape and it was ok for about 2 days and then it started leaking again, very little leak, but it's there, i top it off about once every week and half,, my PS sucks at a stop, my wheel usually cant turn far unless Rpm's are up.. so if i want to turn the wheel from a stop backing into a parking spot or something, i have to step on brake and gas to get rpms to make steering easier...PS also louder than a jet, but im used to that. just thought id vent a little let you know mine leaks to,
Damon

Hey GreatWhite that is exactly how my steering felt before i replaced the pump. Man it sure is a bitch when you have to throw it in neutral or hold the brake and gas it at the same time to get the rpms up so it will turn. Im sure i need to teflon the threads real well and it will be alright. By the way i was able to play with the wheel alittle more while i was on the freeway and it is indeed stiffer at higher speeds like it should be.
By the way i thought i would mention the brand power steering pump i got was "A1 Cardone" from Kragen. I called Napa and that is the brand they also carried but Kragen of course had it less expensive. Pep Boys and Autozone carried different brands but i decided to go with the same brand that Napa carried. I sure am glad because this pump is very smooth and i cannot hear it whine whatsoever. Thought i would let you all in on that.
By the way GreatWhite, with all the mods you have why dont you replace the powersteering pump?
Thanks

yup

oh i definitely plan on replacing the power steering pump this summer sometime,, i have to drive the car daily, and i always like to give myself at least 2 days when doing work like this because something ALWAYS happens you know and then u gotta go out and gtet a part for this or this tool and then autozone just closed... and then you go to the 24 hour one and they dont have the part,, you know how crappy that is, but i will replace it, thanks for that info on that qwuiet pump, thats just what i need, sometime's it over powers my exhaust.
Damon

I'm going from memory also, but doesn't the fitting have a copper washer similar to the copper washers that seal your brake line to your caliper?

where the high pressurer line connects to the pump it is a flare fitting.

the threads are not what causes the seal. there is a small "teflon ring" "seal" that gets smashed flat when the male end of the hose seats into the pump.

replace that and you shouldnt have any more leak there.

Chris

seal

hey do you know where i can find this flare fitting to seal it? is it sold separately somewhere? auto stores have them or special order? thanks a lot
Damon

NAPA might carry something like that. Places that deal with hydraulics like dealers of construction equipment (Ziegler is close to me and are a Caterpillar dealer) and some farm supply stores.

yeah dude.. i think i know we replaced a flare fitting on mine also a while ago... the fitting would pop out due to the pressure because im guessing the inside was worn out... this was a pretty long time ago... maybe like 2 years ago... go to the ford dealership we got it from them... pretty helpfull were able to narrow it down for us.. we took the part of course.. paid like 20 bucks i think...

Back