Control Arms

• Thread starter xThunderbirdSCx
  • Start date
X

xThunderbirdSCx

:confused: Also, if im going to replace my upper control arms within the next week, should i go ahead and replace the lower ones also or do they wear separatly from the uppers? How can you tell if they need replaced?

Generally you replace the upper arms because the ball joint boot splits open and the joint goes bad or the bushings to the inner fender go bad. Similarly with the lower, but you can separately change the ball joints & big outer bushing on these. Personally, now that aftermarket lower arms are available for around $50 (rockautoparts) I would just replace the whole arm. Normally it's the big bushing that's bolted to the cross member (where the alignment shims are) that goes bad on the lower arm. But with age and high mileage I'd just change them all out. MN12 Performance has a lot of nice kits of urethane replacement bushings for the whole suspension system, so it's worth a look at their site. However, I don't like their lower main front bushing & prefer to replace the whole arm. Look thru the other threads on this site for added info.

Back