My brake problem

esco90SC

Starting my 90 SC in after it has sat for atleast an hour, the brake pedal is hard. After ignition both the brake lights stay on for about 30 seconds. I have been through the accumulator test and the lights react after about 8 pumps of the pedal. Once the car is running, repeditive braking, like more than 8 consecutive hard pumps turns on the light for a moment and then off again. I do hear the motor or pump sound during each pump in the accumulator test. If I start the car, drive for a couple minutes and then turn off and restart the car, the brake lights turn off as they should normally.
My calipers, rotors, pads were replaced in November. My front brakes are giving off a tremendous amount of dust. The shop that did the job said monday that my pads have already worn down and that my calipers are acting as though I'm driving around with my brakes on constantly. They werent able to rotate the front wheels once, until they bled my front passenger brake for a second. What's going on??? They said that upper hydrolic pressure is causing the caliper to not function properly.

Any suggestions?

My mechanic is going to replace my struts, shocks, upper control arms, and rack and pinion tomorrow. He said he would throw in the master cylinder if thats the problem, if I can get my hands on one, for free. He hasn't looked at it yet, but I've been told by my Uncle, a Ford mechanic that my master cylinder is seaping.

If your brakes are wearing that fast, maybe you should check for a seized caliper. This would cause the pad to always be rubbing, wearing them down faster and causing tons of dust.

We just switched calipers on my friends 94 Bird cause his caliper was sticking and causing the pad to rub and grab all the time.

Just got turned onto an excellent trouble shooting article on the TBSCEC board. It is written by Duffy Floyd. Take a look. It helps with diagnostics and where to go for parts. Good luck….I'm in the same boat.

update after reading the FAQ

Thanks for the replies. The FAQ was interesting Greg, and I was able to find it on my own, but ty anyhow AV8R040. After what I read, I am leaning towards the probability or a dirty low pressure return hose.
I don't think its a seized caliper per say because its on both front wheels. We have had to replace the brakes several times, each time lasting less.
First I will have my mechanic inspect the brak lines for the front, his suggestion is that I've got an internal fray causing decrease in pressure, making it appear to the idiots that did the last brake jog that my master cylinder is seaping.
I doubt the bad accumulator part of the FAQ bc I have done the test on it.

More to come in about a week. Thelma is getting her AOD rebuilt this week.:) Also her odometer is getting fixed permanently by a nice company in downtown Houston.

Back