Wheel bearings

dklitzke

I just called two places for prices on front and rear wheel bearings for my SC. The Ford dealer wants $120 each for the front and $141 each for the rear while Advance Auto Parts quoted me $57 for the front and $33 for the rears. It doesn't make sense that Ford charges more for the rears than the fronts than Advance does. Plus I am wondering what's so special about the Ford parts. Are they actually better than aftermarket parts? Any thoughts? My car works fine right now, but it has 147k on it, and soon I plan to redo the entire suspension to give it a second life.

Don Klitzke
Prospect TN

Ford may have mistakenly quoted you for the rear hub instead of the bearing. I'm sure you are aware, but on the front the bearing race is integral to the hub so hub and bearing are purchase only as one unit. On the rear, the bearing is separate from the hub and is pressed into the rear knuckle and then the hub is pressed into the bearing.

The aftermarket rear bearings are the same or better than Ford. I got Timken bearings the last time. I've heard differing opinions on the front hubs.

The front bearing is part of the entire hub assembly. Make sure Advanced understands that and that you have ABS. Their price for the front hub sounds too low and they may have quoted you the part for a non ABS hub.

If you do get stuck with a non ABS hub, you should be able to press off the sensor rings from your current hubs and press them on the new hubs.

Sounds like the dealer may have been quoting you the bare rear hubs, rather than the press-in bearings themselves. Up here, the rear brgs. are about $49 CAN each at retail price from Ford.

Try a different parts guy. ;)

Dan Newman is good to deal with, dan@fordpartshq.com

cheers
Ed N.

Back