Gas question

ZRS90sc

I was wondering if anyone has had problems running ethanol through their SC? Thats basically all we have for choice here in iowa and i havent had any troubles with the 89 octane. But could this cause problems down the road, even if its not detonating now? My dads got a buick ultra and its not havin any problems with it either.

ZRS90sc said:
I was wondering if anyone has had problems running ethanol through their SC? Thats basically all we have for choice here in iowa and i havent had any troubles with the 89 octane. But could this cause problems down the road, even if its not detonating now? My dads got a buick ultra and its not havin any problems with it either.

Thats bad, very bad. Run the highest octane you can find. Long term, you will melt your pistons and destroy your engine.

Chris

It is highly recommend to run 91+ octane in the Super Coupe. Most of the stations in the area (Omaha, NE) have premium, but not all seem to. It may run fine now, but it will cause problems in the future.

-Andy "Melon"

As Melon said...the 91 octane minimum comes straight out of the owners manual for my 94 SC. It says that you can use 87 in an emergency with no other qualifiying remarks or comments. I say that if you have to use 87 octane for any reason, you best watch the boost gauge carefully and don't get over zero. It's hard to do, I know. I've been watching mine carefully because it DRINKS gas when you shoot the boost to it, or at least mine does. At $2+ a gallon, it can be quite expensive....

RustyUL said:
I say that if you have to use 87 octane for any reason, you best watch the boost gauge carefully and don't get over zero. It's hard to do, I know.

If you do run lower octane gas, I'd just remove the blower belt. That way your not tempted to go WOT and risk damaging something.

-Andy "Melon"

Melon said:
If you do run lower octane gas, I'd just remove the blower belt. That way your not tempted to go WOT and risk damaging something.

-Andy "Melon"

If you want to run 87 octane and remove the sc belt just to save a few pennies a gallon, why do you own a SC in the first place?

Most rural gas stations in Iowa doen't carry Premium. Now in Des Moines IA a lot of the gas stations are carring 91 ethanol instead of 91 and call it premium. I believe the station that I USED to frequent ran that. They are supposed to have a label if it has ethanol.

My car pings if it doesn't get real 91 or better.

89 ethanol is 87 unleaded with ethanol added. If you are going to run this fuel, you should pull the octane plug to be safe.

I have to run that stupid corn gas in my car and it gets terrible mileage. Damn tree huggers! Robbing peter to pay Paul if you ask me. :mad:

prices

Yes, premium fuel is expensive. BUT, new pistons and bad gas mileage are more costly. So, If you can not afford the extra $1.50 to give your SC the gas and resistance to knock it NEEDS, then sell your car.

thats right, sell it.

Yes 91 and up is a deffinate. If you look at it you the dirffrence betwen a full tank of 87 and a full tank of 93 is about 2 bucks. Im sure you can spot two bucks for your baby. I know i can.

Back