PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/Cougar 3.8L NA head gaskets

New5ohKitty
03-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Hey guys,
Supercharged95 knows me (Superbird on DS and MWS). He suggested I come here and talk to you guys about this, and frankly, I'm disappointed with myself that I didn't think about this first. Oh well. I am looking at a 94 Cougar XR7 (3.8L NA auto) that's for sale around here, but the head gaskets are blown. Now, I remember my SC (93, white, manual) and my old Cougar (92, 3.8L, auto) quite fondly, so I want this car, and the purchase price is right, but the price that shops are charging for a head gasket job??? COmplete pony poo. Anyway, I am wondering if there is anyone looking to make some extra cash that has experience with this and is able to get to DM with tools and do this job. I'd do it myself, but I don't know how, and I'd really hate to jack this up bad. So, I'm offering pay plus food and drink for your labor and your expertise. I'll help, just can't guarantee how much help I'll be. Please let me know soon, as I want to get this bought soon, before he sells it to someone else. Thanks for your time.

Andy H.

Oh yeah, you can call me at 515-226-6240 from 7-5 weekdays, or at 515-778-1466 anytime any day, or e-mail at a_hotopp@hotmail.com. Thanks again.

Oh yeah again, I know Mike Albee too. Did an SC shootout (the 1st one I think) with him, and the first SC Cruise for SCCoIA. So I know those guys as well. Thanks folks.

Oh yeah again again, If you can help out, but have to drive more than like 15 min. to get to Des Moines, I'll give you a bit extra for gas. Thanks.

T-bird4vr
03-03-2005, 01:56 AM
well, that does sound like a fun spring break project, but I would be hesitant since I only have limited tools I could bring. It probably wouldn't take much, but there would be something I need I don't have. That is garentted.

pulley removers, good torque wrench, good gasket scraper, end wrenches, extensions, and a trebble light come to mind.

New5ohKitty
03-03-2005, 11:13 AM
That's cool man. I've got like 2 or more people to help out lined up already. We are going to be doing this in Ankeny, and I'm trying to check with the guy I'm buying the car from to see if it's cool if we kind of have a little barbeque/get together at the same time. I'm a member of MidWestStangs.com w/him, so It's possible this could turn into a work day for a couple of cars. I'll check, and let you know if it's cool to show up, if you want. Thanks for replying though.

T-bird4vr
03-03-2005, 11:56 AM
ya, send me an email @ julianmmiller@hotmail.com when you are getting close and I may stop down. It depends when you do it, but let me know.

Julian

supercharged95
03-04-2005, 08:57 AM
well, that does sound like a fun spring break project, but I would be hesitant since I only have limited tools I could bring. It probably wouldn't take much, but there would be something I need I don't have. That is garentted.

pulley removers, good torque wrench, good gasket scraper, end wrenches, extensions, and a trebble light come to mind.

haha just make sure you dont leave the treble light on anything that might melt :D

supercharged95
03-04-2005, 08:58 AM
and andy- i pm'd you on dragsource.. check it out! :)

T-bird4vr
03-07-2005, 05:07 PM
haha just make sure you dont leave the treble light on anything that might melt :D

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So are the HG's in?

New5ohKitty
03-08-2005, 09:17 AM
HG's are in and working quite nicely. Thank you to everyone who offered hints, tips, knowledge, or help. It went smoothly, except for one snapped stud (which came out after some work at it). They are not leaking (yay, my heads aren't warped) and appear to be seating quite nicely. I might add that the car runs BEAUTIFULLY, and is everything I hoped for. Well, it does need a new battery, but that's ok. Otherwise, thanks for all the help.

But I am looking for something. The climate control knob (the one that adjusts the temp, not the position or the fan knobs) is broken. The post that it sits on is missing. Thankfully, it's set to hot, so this morning wasn't uncomfortable, but that won't be so nice come winter. Anyone have a spare control panel w/all the knobs available? Or maybe an SC climate control set? I wouldn't mind auto climate control. Let me know. Thanks.

supercharged95
03-08-2005, 09:36 AM
hey man, glad to hear everything went smoothly. after i talked to thomas on saturday i sat down and i just felt like crap- i took my temp and it was a 100.4 :mad: i then passed out until sunday morning and i felt fine (for the most part).

for your climate control- check out the 'for sale' forums here as certain members are parting out cars... and you can always check ebay or junkyards too.

New5ohKitty
03-09-2005, 09:18 AM
already done. I may be converting it to digital sometime in the future. I'll let you know when/if that happens.

forcfed93
03-11-2005, 12:25 AM
already done. I may be converting it to digital sometime in the future. I'll let you know when/if that happens.
SO does this mean you can come and hang out with us again?!?!??!

I wondered were you went!!!

Are you living in Knoxville now?

New5ohKitty
03-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Mike, Yea, I'm living in Knoxville now. Which of course means that I'm even further away from all your events. Plus, My cougar is NA. I am going to try and make it to the first club clash, but I can't guarantee that. Doubt I'll run though. Unless I do a 5.0 Swap.... hmmm....
But, in answer to where I went. Well, with my hours I had at QT, and the days I worked, I couldn't really make it to most of the events. And then I started running with the Dragsource guys down here. Then I sold my SC (wish I hadn't).
I don't know if I will be able to make it to many of the events. I mean, to drive like 4 hours for just a day is kind of excessive. I'm not trying to bust on you guys, but with the club being centered in CR (of course, that's were you live, I understand), it's tough for me to rationalize the gas expenses and what not to make it. I'll give it a shot though.

forcfed93
03-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Mike, Yea, I'm living in Knoxville now. Which of course means that I'm even further away from all your events. Plus, My cougar is NA. I am going to try and make it to the first club clash, but I can't guarantee that. .........................................

Then I sold my SC (wish I hadn't).
I don't know if I will be able to make it to many of the events. I mean, to drive like 4 hours for just a day is kind of excessive. I'm not trying to bust on you guys, but with the club being centered in CR (of course, that's were you live, I understand), it's tough for me to rationalize the gas expenses and what not to make it. I'll give it a shot though.

Knoxville isnt that far out of the way. Before I bought my camper, I used to drive back and forth every day to go to the Sprintcar Nationals. Thats about 850 miles in 5 days ...... :D I do understand your gas expence problem. I'm very concerned that club activities will drop off if gas goes to $2.50 / gallon.

As for the club being "CENTERED" in CR....... I have gone out of my way to make sure that it didn't happen. Since day one I've tryed to get everyone involved in the event planning. As it has turned out, I've been doing most of the event planning because no one else has provided much (if any) input. Because I'm in CR, I dont have info about stuff happening in Central and Western Iowa.

I would love to do some stuff with the Nebraska guys and the guys from the KC area but I dont get much input.

If you or anyone else wants to have something in your area, just let me know.

As it stands, we now move the meetings from Marshalltown to CR because that is were we get the biggest turn outs. Any location is welcome, Again, Just let me know!

FYI, we are planning to take in at least one or two sprintcar races this year.

New5ohKitty
03-11-2005, 02:06 PM
I know Mike, I know. I wasn't trying to yell at you, or really even complain about it. I was just stating my reasons for my not hanging out more. I'll do my best to pass on any info to you about stuff that is going on around here. Of course, it helps that alot of the dragstrips are up your way, well, the good ones anyway. Don't suppose your up for some SCCA events this year are you? I might get the Cougar on that. Thinking maybe intake and mild exhaust with a dyno tune while I'm at it. NOthing crazy, just for some more oomph. Oh, and jmod the auto trans. I've got to talk to Thomas about that.

forcfed93
03-11-2005, 02:17 PM
I know Mike, I know. I wasn't trying to yell at you, or really even complain about it. I was just stating my reasons for my not hanging out more.

I Know, I just wanted to let you and everyone know the reasons for not having alot of stuff happening in Central and Western Iowa.

........Don't suppose your up for some SCCA events this year are you?

We're up for almost anything. Drop me the info and I'll pass it along to the group.