Wiper Switch broke

ben04

the wiper switch stick thing that controls the wipers, high beams etc is toast. its kinda jammed it seems and in trying to force it around i think i shorted out my rear defrost. couple questions:

1)does the rear defrost have a fuse and if so, where is it located?
2)where can i get a replacement for this switch other than ford
3)my lights are not working due to this, did i short them out too or something? day time running lights work, and when i pull the headlight switch back (ON), the rear and front corner lamps come on but no headlights. driving at night with daytime running lights sucks *** :D

any help would be great. thakns guys

Thats your Multi-function switch.
I replaced mine with one from Advanced auto. It cost me around $50 I have seen used ones on ebay before, but I personally would buy a new one. The swap is easy as well.
Good luck,
Tom

The fuse for the rear window defroster is in the fuse box under the hood. It's a green 40 Amp fuse and is the one nearest to the engine. It's held on with two bolts that can be accessed after the plastic housing for the first three fuses is lifted up. I don't see how the multi-function switch could have caused a problem with the defroster.
A defective multi-function switch could cause the symptoms that you described in point 3).

J.D. said:
The fuse for the rear window defroster is in the fuse box under the hood. It's a green 40 Amp fuse and is the one nearest to the engine. It's held on with two bolts that can be accessed after the plastic housing for the first three fuses is lifted up. I don't see how the multi-function switch could have caused a problem with the defroster.
A defective multi-function switch could cause the symptoms that you described in point 3).

yeah i dunno i remember hearing a small buzzing sound, then the next thing i know the fog lamps dont work, headlights are out and the defrost doens't work either.

Defrost light comes on though... and i checked the connections on the back window and they're plugged in fine

Check the green 40 Amp fuse and try to see if the metal wire inside is burnt out. Look at the other fuses for comparison.
If you have a multimeter, then disconnect the two connectors at the rear window, check for continuity between the two contacts on the window glass and check for voltage between the two connectors after you turn on the defroster switch.

J.D. said:
Check the green 40 Amp fuse and try to see if the metal wire inside is burnt out. Look at the other fuses for comparison.
If you have a multimeter, then disconnect the two connectors at the rear window, check for continuity between the two contacts on the window glass and check for voltage between the two connectors after you turn on the defroster switch.

fuse was fine. is it possible that a currrent goes through that wiper switch for some reason for the defrost? :confused: i guess i'll check the contacts on the glass but i dont get why those would go...

ben04 said:
Defrost light comes on though... and i checked the connections on the back window and they're plugged in fine
I just checked the wiring diagram (see thumbnail).
If the 'defrost on' indicator comes on at the defrost switch, then the fuses and defrost switch are good. Your problem probably lies at the rear window - an open in the defrost grid or dirty contacts.
So check for voltage and continuity at the window grid as explained in post #5.

Attachments

• Defrost.jpg
    Defrost.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 24
J.D. said:
I just checked the wiring diagram (see thumbnail).
If the 'defrost on' indicator comes on at the defrost switch, then the fuses and defrost switch are good. Your problem probably lies at the rear window - an open in the defrost grid or dirty contacts.
So check for voltage and continuity at the window grid as explained in post #5.

thanks JD i appreciate it. i got a long night of fixing tonight. winter beater is bein a dumbass, and i get to check the defrost on the tbird. :D

Back