Exhaust upgrade = crossmember deletion?

Michael Mattix

SCCoA Member
I have recently bent the crossmember that is right in front of the gas tank held on by 4 screws/bolts by running over a 7 inch boulder in fog (well, actually it was last year). I thought I would get one off of a SC that is being used for parts. One of the guys told me that when most get their exhaust upgraded, they don't put the crossmember (I don't know what the proper name for it is) back on. Some of the pictures of upgraded exhaust systems seem to verify this. What gives? Why is it there in the first place? Wouldn't it provide some rigidity?

take a look at the bolts holding it on...do they look very strong? I'm pretty sure that its there for if the exhaust breaks off..it wont drag on the ground...or to protect the exhaust. I run mine without it.

I thought it was a seat support or something... You are talking about the small thinner crossmember right?

I believe that cross member is just there to resist body/frame resinance.

On my SC, we just used some flat washers to space the brace down a bit. That was enough to make it clear the 3" intermediate pipe.

cheers
Ed N.

well

post a picture of it on a gay-*** frilly pillow like josh did-thatll help us determine what it is-LOL-

btw-i kept mine on, but given the size of the bolts i doubt its there for any reason other than to support the exhaust if something were to break-Mike

Bob,

See the two places that are circled in white. This is where it was attached. Mine is missing because the last shop that worked on it, removed it without telling me. I was going to get a new/used one anyway, but most have replied that they don't have theirs on, so I guess I don't need to replace it.

Attachments

• Crossmember 2 (2).JPG
    Crossmember 2 (2).JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 90
Back