I'm back and new and improved

boostedbird

Okay i had a death in the family and between that my wife getting surgery and my birds AOD crapping out I've been away. But as luck would have it fate brought me back and in a new and improved way!!!

I was talking to a friend of mine that does title loans and he called me and said he had a 91 SC 5 speed. :eek: I said i would be right over. When I got there it was in great shape except for the poor excuse for a paint job. But the body was completely straight no dents dings or rust. It had new interior custom done in black tweed and leather, new yoko K420 245/50/16 tires all around, new centerforce clutch, a set of newly installed 3.55 rear gears and only 52K original miles on it. But it had blown head gaskets, and he wanted nothing to do with it hehehe. He sold it to me for the awesome price of $100. I towed it home and started the build.

I tore it completely down and installed new forged pistons, hellfire rings, I shotpeened, balanced, and polished the stock rods, new bearings, and I polished and nitrated the crank. I welded up the exhaust ports and then reshaped and ported them and flowed them on a superflow 600 flowbench, added 1.82 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves used the coy miller stage 1 cam and springs from my old coupe, extrode honed and port matched the lower intake, added my massaged MPII blower and 5% pulley, modified the MP raised top for better flow, extrode honed the MP intake manifold, 85mm Mp Tb, 42 pound injectors, 82mm ProM MAF, custom 2 1/2 downpipes, into 3 in center pipe out 2 1/2 duals with magnaflow mufflers, left the new centerforce dual friction clutch, lightened the flywheel, had the 5 speed rebuilt by a friend and beefed up a bit in weak areas being that its a mazda trans, installed a custom made aluminum driveshaft, left the tires and 3.55s, added the 255 in tank pump, extrode honed the intercooler pipes and added the intercooler fan. I will be going to a front mount as soon as its ready its a custom made unit using an Apexi skyline core with custom 2 1/2 in pipes.

I took it out for its maiden voyage and came across a new EVO with a few mods here and there. We were going about 30MPH and he hit it and without the advantage of his AWD I took him to the cleaners it was scary how much faster this coupe was over my previous AOD just thought Id share.

Glad to see your back.
Your buddy is a hell of a nice guy to sell you that bird for $100.Good luck with it sounds like your way ahead of the game :p .
Post some pics when you get them.
Dave.

How do you post pics I have a digital camera and all and I have taken alot of pics but do not know how to upload them.

I am in awe

The second you run that thing at the track, let us hear your quarter mile and trap speeds/times. Nice work :]

I was wondering how you like the 3.55 gears in the 5 speed. I was thinking about going that way. Let me know THanks and Nice find. Mike

I will admit it did take some time to get use to the 3.55 gears with the 5 speed it has a super fast 1st gear but once you hit 2nd it pulls like a fricken freight train!!!! I am going baout 2700 at 75 and 2850 at 80 a little high for my liking but not to bad. Track opened up this last weekend and so Ill be taking it for a first run soon! I'll keep you updated

Back