Radiator Questions

pastera

Sending in the radiator from my 89 SC to be cleaned and checked after a water pump failure.

Can the radiators with metal tanks be recored?
If so, should I spend the extra $$ to get it redone to a 3-core on a stock car?

I'm assuming the tranny cooler line near the lower radiator hose is the return line, Is this correct?
Where is the best place to mount a tranny cooler?

Thanks
Aaron

yes

Yes,U can recore the rad.And about the tranny cooler,i install mine just behind the bumper cover or in front of the rad.Later.

Aaron,

Yes, you can re-core the brass tank rads. Go triple, even a stock SC need the additional cooling ability. Don't let a shop tell you it can't be done eithe, because there is a dense fin copper 3 core that will fit.

If they insist it can't be done, bet them $1000, we'll send them mine, and buy ourselves each a Griffen with the profits! :p

Bill

If you don't mind, how much was the recore?
I got a price of $300 to recore my radiator and that price is with the radiator out of the car. I may be out of my mind but I thought that was high and was thinking 175-200 for the job.

Aaron

Seeing as we had 4 of them done here in Toronto at $210.00 Canadian each, I'd say $300.00 US is tad insane!!!!

Bill, myself, and 2 other guys in the SCCOO had them triple re-cored at that price, plus tax of course.

It's a place called Speedy Rad Service here in Toronto. The owner is a former CASCAR driver and knows his cooling pretty good. Your not from the area are you?

Well, I just turned on another shop @ $250 to recore to a 3-core.

I just want to get the damn car back together. I bought the thing in Feb. and it has been down for two months now mostly because I'm putting in a new kitchen. And I still need to order the motor mounts!

Sounds like a group buy potenial on that radiator (210CAD = 140US), damn I could have shipped it and had some left over.

Aaron

I just got a quote to go to a 4 core radiator of around 275 they had a new 2 core for 180 and I am on limited funds so I had to go that way. I was really thinking about the 4 core rad tho.

If you folks would like I can ask Jeff, the owner about doing recores for the US folks. You'd have to cover the shipping both ways, and warranty would be a bit of a bugger.

But hey triple core re-cores for about $140.00 US ain't bad.

I don't think shipping would be that bad, about $25 each way for standard ground.

Warranty issues should not be an issue - If the shop does good work you don't worry about it. Having a small leak fixed locally would be the same as the shipping. Sometimes you need to take risks to save some money.

Hopefully, I'll get some summer driving out of this thing before she goes to bed for the winter.

Aaron

hi pastera
Im in groton ma
Im gonna get my rad recored to 3 at this shop in groton
Andys Auto
978 448 3191
give them a buzz
g/l
Josh

The tanks on the stock radiator are wide enough to take the three row core. I don't know why they didn't put a three row in the damn car to begin with.

There should be no clearance issues, but I won't get the radiator back until tommorow so I don't know yet.

I'll post with the result and get the info on the core that the shop used when I pick up the radiator.

Aaron

what shop did u decide to get it done at and how much
are the gouging u for $$$$$ ?
also what is there turn around time?
thanks Josh

There is no clearance problems at all when using a triple core re-cored rad. Why else would we even talk about it not to mention recommending it to all the folks in the club.

Josh
I'm paying $250 :eek: :eek: in Fall River

He had to order the core, it should be in today, but he said about three hours labor, so turn around should be a day if the core is in stock.

Yes, I'm getting gouged but I'm sick of working on the damn thing and just want to drive it.

Aaron

I just put in a re-cored three row rad. $225.00
There is no clearance problems, just be careful when you go to put the fan shroud back on that you don't screw one of the screws into your new rad. I had to use a few washers with one of the screws to get the clearance.

Back