cam positioning...

CMac89

I just read about the cam positioner and a guy said that the left side of the "U" is supposed to go in the middle of the slot where the cam sensor goes and the picture above it has the right side of it in the middle.

When they talk about left or right side, is that standing on the passenger side or driver side and looking at it?

position it so red line side is where I drew green line.

I got this from XR7dave when he told me how and it fired right up

Attachments

• sc engine synchronizer pics.jpg
    sc engine synchronizer pics.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 147
Thanks for the replies. I got it to fire, but it sounds like spark plug wires are mixed up or its way off on timing.

Sweet90SC said:
What is it doing? Missing bad or firing and diing or cycling(RPM up and down) etc?????

Rick
It will crank and when it tries to fire it stops cranking for a second and then goes again. I had it started once, but now it just cranks and wants to start, but it wont.

Where is 26*ATDC on a stock balancer. Is it where it has marks from 0-30 or do you go past the grove 26*?

Last edited:
I know you have a lot of knowledge on engines but could the timing be 180 degrees off. Also. Double check you plug wires and vacuum connections.

Good Luck.

wezar said:
I know you have a lot of knowledge on engines but could the timing be 180 degrees off. Also. Double check you plug wires and vacuum connections.

Good Luck.
I have the "U" shaped part on the cam synchro the same way that the picture shows. It might be off a tooth, but i think i put it on 26* BTDC instead of ATDC. The way i see it on the balancer you can only see 26* on the BTDC part of it. I guess it could be off 180*, but its on the same way the picture shows, the "U" part atleast is.

I'm also missing injector cups on two of the injectors, but i have the O-rings on all of them. It smells like gas alot.

Last edited:
CMac89 said:
I have the "U" shaped part on the cam synchro the same way that the picture shows. It might be off a tooth, but i think i put it on 26* BTDC instead of ATDC. The way i see it on the balancer you can only see 26* on the BTDC part of it. I guess it could be off 180*, but its on the same way the picture shows, the "U" part atleast is.

I'm also missing injector cups on two of the injectors, but i have the O-rings on all of them. It smells like gas alot.

I just double checked the shop manual. It is 26 degrees ATDC. The plastic cover has the marks on it.

You can get those injector pintle caps at Napa pretty cheap too.

wezar said:
I just double checked the shop manual. It is 26 degrees ATDC. The plastic cover has the marks on it.

You can get those injector pintle caps at Napa pretty cheap too.
That cover explains it. I have it on 26* BTDC so i am about 52* off. I just twisted my cam sensor about around there and it started, but still sounds like its only firing on 4 cylinders.

I got 1.73 nonadjustable roller rockers and i think i adjusted them wrong because they are making all sorts of noise.

Sometimes it takes the lifters a while to quiet down. Even if they're brand new.

I've always set mine like the above picture shows. The '90 shop manual says that there is like a 30 degree range in which it can be set, so it doesn't have to be right on super perfect. It's worked for 2 engines for me so far. I just set the ballancer/crank pulley to Zero, and then set the cam-sensor assembly like the picture.

I remember there being slop between the lifter and the rocker. I am just going to tear the valve covers off and adjust them. The weird thing is that there doesnt seem to be any lopeyness in the new cam i got. Its a 212/220, .531/.539 lift on a 114LSA. Maybe when i get my problems fixed i will hear the lope, but we'll see.

Is it a regrind cam? Probably need longer pushrods if so. Did you upgrade your valvesprings?

here are some pics of me and CMAC putting the motor together.

Attachments

• headgaskets 010_1.jpg
    headgaskets 010_1.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 81
  • headgaskets 013_1.jpg
    headgaskets 013_1.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 91
  • headgaskets 012_1.jpg
    headgaskets 012_1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 73
wezar said:
Is it a regrind cam? Probably need longer pushrods if so. Did you upgrade your valvesprings?
This is a brand new cam from Comp. Yes i upgraded my valvesprings. The pushrods are 7.200".

Thanks Dave. HAHA :)

Last edited:
I figured you had upgraded the springs. Had to ask though. I would suggest checking the preload. I did not notice if you have adjustable rockers or not. I have the same length pushrods but with a milder regrind Crane cam. Just .509 lift. I got a good deal on the cam and pushrods from another member. I had to use milled pedestals (with shims) to make the 7.2 pushrods work with Roller Rockers. But my cam is a regrind and I don't know how much difference that makes on pushrod length compared to your new higher lift cam.

wezar said:
I figured you had upgraded the springs. Had to ask though. I would suggest checking the preload. I did not notice if you have adjustable rockers or not. I have the same length pushrods but with a milder regrind Crane cam. Just .509 lift. I got a good deal on the cam and pushrods from another member. I had to use milled pedestals (with shims) to make the 7.2 pushrods work with Roller Rockers. But my cam is a regrind and I don't know how much difference that makes on pushrod length compared to your new higher lift cam.
They are non-adjustable Ford Racing 1.73's. If i have slop then i guess shims wouldnt be necessary.

Back