Question about ProCarParts.com reverse glow gauges

quick35th

Hey I got a set of these gauges last night from a friend brand new in box. They are I guess the older style because they light up blue and green. My problem is I think the speedometer is off. All the needles are in their correct places. From what it looks like they spaced the numbers out to far at the begining and got it right at about 60mph. It looks like everything past 60mph is correctly spaced with the stock face. It just seems like everything is off by 10mph until 60mph. Has anyone else had this problem before? What should I do? I am going to have it checked tonight against another car to see how accurate it is. Maybe its just all in my head lol.

Shane

You know it seems like no matter how carefull you are, any time you take the needles off the guage is never the same. If I ever do this again im going to make a slit in all of them and go around the needles.

scbird1 said:
You know it seems like no matter how carefull you are, any time you take the needles off the guage is never the same. If I ever do this again im going to make a slit in all of them and go around the needles.

Well all the needles went back on in the same place that they came off. I know it is not the needle but rather its the gauge face. I took some pics of the difference and will post them when I get home from work tonight. You can easily see the difference in the pics.

Shane

I had the same ones and they were dead on up to around 60 then it would be off by 10 mph at 80-100.

I think what you may be seeing is a difference in SC speedo's. The 89-90 speedo has the 60mph at the straight up 12 o'clock position. 91-93 had the 70mph in the 12 o'clock position. And the needle at rest position starts at a different speed on the two speedo's. John

AnnivSpeCpe said:
I think what you may be seeing is a difference in SC speedo's. The 89-90 speedo has the 60mph at the straight up 12 o'clock position. 91-93 had the 70mph in the 12 o'clock position. And the needle at rest position starts at a different speed on the two speedo's. John
Yup. The 89-90 speedos had 2 screws in them also. The 91-93 didn't.

Darkside said:
Yup. The 89-90 speedos had 2 screws in them also. The 91-93 didn't.

Hmm... that would explain why mine does not have the screws in the speedometer oh and the slots for the odometer were a bit off as well. I guess its time to find a speedo from an 89-90 SC. Does anyone know what speed the 89-90 SCs start off from?

Shane

quick35th said:
Hmm... that would explain why mine does not have the screws in the speedometer oh and the slots for the odometer were a bit off as well. I guess its time to find a speedo from an 89-90 SC. Does anyone know what speed the 89-90 SCs start off from?

Shane

Hey My first mark is 5mph I gotta tell ya I had the indiglo guages for about 8 months and they fried on me and I wound up taking them out..I haven't heard alot bad about them.. and they did look good.. Mine were about 2 mph off up to 60..that could have just been tires too... My experience my be unique hope this helps..
Rick

Sweet90SC said:
Hey My first mark is 5mph I gotta tell ya I had the indiglo guages for about 8 months and they fried on me and I wound up taking them out..I haven't heard alot bad about them.. and they did look good.. Mine were about 2 mph off up to 60..that could have just been tires too... My experience my be unique hope this helps..
Rick

Yeah the one that I took out of there started out at 10mph so I guess that explains it. I will have to be carefull to not speed until I can get the correct speedo. Then I am going to have a fun time pulling it off.

Shane

When I installed mine I just taped the edge with regular masking tape.. no glue at all..Then when I took them out they pulled right off..I never had any problem with them comming undone even in the Florida heat...

Rick

Well I put a little dab of glue on some of mine but I think all the glue stayed on the speedo and not the factory face so I may have not glued that one on.

Shane

Back