PDA

View Full Version : Removing factory radio

91_SC_BIRD
03-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to take out my factory radio, I made the tool using a hanger. I was able to take out the JBL Cd player, the A/C panel, but no luck with the radio. I did a search, but wasn't able to find anything else then the method to take it out by removing the dash. I would like to know if I should just get the DIN tools? The ones I made seem to grab tightly, but no matter how hard I pull, it won't come out.

Thanks for the help!

MIKE 38sc
03-04-2005, 02:59 AM
I had a Ford radio do that once. Turned out somehow when it got installed the locking ears got deformed so no tool of anykind was going to unlock it. The removal got nasty, I won and the poor radio lost......for good. ;)
What I would like to know is what idiot at Ford designed that retaining system? I want to go hunting with him. ;)

91_SC_BIRD
03-04-2005, 09:36 AM
I had a Ford radio do that once. Turned out somehow when it got installed the locking ears got deformed so no tool of anykind was going to unlock it. The removal got nasty, I won and the poor radio lost......for good. ;)
What I would like to know is what idiot at Ford designed that retaining system? I want to go hunting with him. ;)

Thats not good! I would like it to be a win win situation.... About that hunting trip... COUNT ME IN! :D

hammondo
03-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Gee, why would you want to take out the factory radio? Could it be it stopped working? My recollection when I did mine was that I had to take out the Vehicle Maintenance Monitor as well to get at the radio clips.

91_SC_BIRD
03-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Gee, why would you want to take out the factory radio? Could it be it stopped working? My recollection when I did mine was that I had to take out the Vehicle Maintenance Monitor as well to get at the radio clips.

Well, I like the look of the factory radio, but when I bought the car, the speakers had been changed and one of the chanels on the amp is toast. Everything works fine except that. I'm going to put a Kenwood Excellon. I'll be selling the radio, cd, and sub/amp. I'll take out the VMM and give it a shot.

Thanks

debo92sc
03-04-2005, 11:57 AM
when you run into that problem you might want to splurge and spend the 5 bucks and go to murrays,auto zone, or pep boys and buy the acctual tool for removing the radio....it is shaped a little different on the ends of it.....coat hangers sometimes mess the brackets up for the radio....hope that helps :cool: